Entities
Newly Registered

Raspberry leaves turning brown

Planted some raspberry bushes about a month ago. Yesterday noticed that some of the leaves towards the bottom are browning?
I attached a pic. Is it not enough water? First time growing these and pretty much any plant. I hope its not a disease of some sort. Help!
photo(3).JPG

RamblingRiver

It's always hard to say because there are so many variables that can contribute to browning leaves on any plant. Just like any form of troubleshooting try eliminating variables to reduce your issue to one or two potential causes. Are you keeping a regular watering schedule? Is the plant in full sun? Is that a clay soil that holds water and is stingy with mineral release?
Last edited by RamblingRiver on Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RamblingRiver

My blackberries do this when they fruit so often times I add a little lime to help with calcium.

Entities
Newly Registered

The soil is clay. When I planted a couple days in advance I added fertlizer, some good top soil, and some lime. They get watered daily but not on a reg schedule. Plant is in full sun.

We had one day where it snowed here in PA over night a couple days ago. Could that have damaged the plant the rest of the plant looks healthy atleast to my eye.

LeaSmea

This may be counter-intuitive but over-watering a plant kills it faster than under-watering. The roots get bogged down and can't breath properly. Then it will succumb to root rot and kill the plant. Now, I know nothing about raspberries but I am assuming that a daily watering is too much.

Did a bit of research and this article gives a good outline for watering your plants. It says new plants only need approx. 1 inch of water a week, so my guess is that you are giving it way too much.
https://homeguides.sfgate.com/water-rasp ... 21765.html

Entities
Newly Registered

it is possible its been getting to much water.

could it be the start of Verticillium wilt?

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

how much fertilizer? Generally berries are not fertilized the year they are planted, therefore, it may be the fertilizer that is causing problems as well. Also, there is no clue where you are and many of the answers would be dependent on whether you are planting raspberries in an area that they grow well and easily like the maritime NW where the soil is naturally slightly acidic, but not overly so. As for watering is you are concerned get a moisture meter at your local nursery and check it. Remember clay soil holds a lot of water, it is not "well drained" soil, so it may also be contributing to the problem.

Entities
Newly Registered

I'm in Southwest PA. I did fertilize a couple days before I planted.
I'm starting to think it was damage from the frost we had the other night. I'm new to this and thought berries were ok in cold but from what I read thats only when they are dormant.
If I did get frost damage can they recover?

JONA
Greener Thumb

They will befine NB. Tender young leaves like these will grow away again.

puzzlejunky
Cool Member

I agree they will be fine. I am also in southwest pa, and my raspberries do fine. I don't even mulch to protect them in winter. I don't know what variety you have...but mine spread like weeds :-()

Return to “All Other Fruit”