applestar
Mod

8 bags of treasures in my car -- D. FIR SHAVINGS for mulch

I was perusing the local craigslist for the first time in ages and came across an advert offering clean douglas fir shavings $3 a bag. I was picturing trash bag size and decided to go for 8 bags to mulch my blueberries and raspberries. When I got there, they told me the bags were 55 gallon size, loosely filled. :shock:

...Had to put down the rear seats but I managed to get all eight bags in the back of my suv. :()

I might have been able to stuff a 9th bag in the back if I wasn't concerned about leaving space to see out the rear window, and if I hadn't been going to Trader Joes before going home, I could have put another bag in the passenger's seat. (as it was, I forgot all about it and when I rolled the shopping cart to my car, had a moment of panic when I thought I wouldn't be able to fit 5 full grocery bags in the passenger's seat and floor. :lol:

But they told me they always have these bags of shavings and local farmers come get them for their chickens, rabbits and other livestock. So now I know I could get 10 bags next time if I tried.

...these are clear bags and I can see using them for protecting my tomato plants after planting them, too.

...and you know what? These 8 bags of Douglas fir shavings made my car smell WONDERFUL! -- MUCH better than those Christmas tree shaped artificial car air fresheners :mrgreen:

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Great deal!. How is cedar chips for the garden?

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Douglas firs ...

We often think of pine when we are remembering favorite outdoor smells. I don't think any evergreen has a more pleasant fragrance than Douglas firs.

The needles are soft. You can walk right into them and give them a hug.

:D Steve

applestar
Mod

We like fresh-cut Christmas tree and there are quite a few entrepreneurs in the area. Douglas fir us wonderful because of the soft needles.

Yep! Smells glorious in the car this morning, too! :D
image.jpg

applestar
Mod

Cedar chips -- I have heard some say you should NOT use them around edibles due to high "something" content. I suspect they might be more OK around trees and shrubs than around vegetables or strawberries.

I'm thinking of using these shavings for strawberries too since I have so much and I think there will be extra, but there seems to be some report of increased red stele disease when "saw dust" is used to mulch strawberries.... :|

applestar
Mod

... THIS was one bag's worth. Second bag sitting behind the blueberry bed... Image
image.jpg
... Two areas completed. To the right of the two lowbush blue berry is a strawberry bed -- I'll take care of that later. Finished Blueberry bed on the right.

...LOTS (6 whole bags) left for the raspberries and more -- now I think I'll mulch the espaliered fruit trees with these as well. :()

Return to “All Other Fruit”