mrsbrigham
Newly Registered

Pruning my Peach Tree

Hello!

My Elberta peach tree known fondly as Bertie has exhibited excellent growth at the start of her second season. Yippeee!

I'm seeking advice on how to prune her while the weather is still cold in New England. We bought her on April 1st last year, so please no fooling around! ;)

I plan to prune for the three D's dead, damaged or diseased as well as the excess little branches, but I'm concerned about her heartier branches. Her leader appears to be growing mainly to the left side and I'd like to prevent her from becoming too side-heavy, leaving her open to potential storm damage down the road.

Thank you to all in advance!
peach-tree-progress.jpg

JONA
Greener Thumb

I agree mrsbrigham, your tree is getting one sided.
As far as I can see you have two options.
That main shoot has two branches. Remove one and then tie the remaining one up to a tall post to make it the new main leader.
The other option.....and although drastic it's the one I would do myself...is remove the branch completely.
I know it seems drastic but the rest of the tee is in super balance and would soon fill in the vacant area.
If left the tree is always going to be lop sided and that branch will become ever more dominant.

Return to “All Other Fruit”