thejewster
Newly Registered

Young Plum Tree HELP!

Hello

I was wondering if someone can help me out. I started a plum tree from seed about a year ago and it is now March and it has come out of hibernation and is starting to sprout.

There are 5 or 6 very small branches at the bottom and then the stem shoots straight up.

I have included a picture.

It is very slim.

My question is:- should it be this slim and should I be pruning this plant for the future or do I just let it grow.

If it does need pruning can you tell me what I should or shouldnt be cutting off.

Also is it too late now to prune it.
plum.jpg
Hope you can help

Jewster

tomc
Super Green Thumb

if that was my plum tree I might want it planted rather farther away from a building.

Yokoharu

I have plum trees in my garden for several years now and each year it grew more suckers similar to what you have. We dug it out and distributed to whatever wants 2 suckers for cross pollination. It is time to plant it. Do not try to prune it as the plant will do her own thing as she gets bigger. It takes about 3-4 years before it will produce fruit. I don't know which variety you have. We have lots of fruits in fall.

JONA
Greener Thumb

Just a couple of points jewster,
I would leave those small shoots at the bottom of the tree for a while until the whole plant has built up some more strength. In the end though they will have to go as they are far too low.
As regards cutting the leader. Once it has reached around knee height then it would pay to cut the tip as this will encourage it produce side shoots ( feathers) at that point. These would be at the ideal height once the three was mature.
Any tree planted from seed is going to be a chance as you do not know the other parent. It may turn into a lovely plum....or just a wild sport that is poor quality....you take that gamble when you plant from the stone.Good luck.

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

I wouldn't prune this year. Give it a year to get going. It needs a certain amount of leaves to have good transpiration. I think it looks great since it came from a seed. But then in ND, I have a hard time getting trees to grow from seed without a lot of work.

Return to “All Other Fruit”