Joyfirst
Green Thumb

I want a dwarf loquat -how do I get it?

Trees in my community garden have to be in the pots, and no taller than 6 feet. I tried some loquats and their seeds (they are very good cancer preventative, have amygdalin), and really would love to have my own. It seems like the best way to get fruit sooner and have a small loquat is to graft loquat I like onto quince rootstock. But I can't find, which quince they mean -it turns out there are two different plants called quince. One is Chaenomeles or flowering quince, that grows 1-3 meters tall (so I tend to think, that is the rootstock for the dwarf tree), and other one Cydonia oblonga, that grows 5 to 8 meters tall. Which one it is? Also, what time is best to graft since in here they are never dormant.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

chances are, they're talking about cydonia. since loquat are evergreen, seems like the best time to do it is when the quince are actively pushing out leaves in the spring.

not the fastest way, but I have a seed-grown loquat potted that can easily be kept at 4 or so feet tall through pruning. it must be 13 or 14 years old now.

Joyfirst
Green Thumb

But it takes 8-10 years to get fruit from the seedling! Not sure I have so much patience. How long it took for you to get fruit? Unless, I would graft other loquat onto seedling loquat to get fruit earlier...I could graft onto yearling, I think. I have loquat seeds, and I would have to buy quince.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

I don't get fruit. more a function of our winter weather here (since that's flowering season) than the pot, though. poor thing's a curiosity.

Joyfirst
Green Thumb

Oh, I see. Well, you can still make tea from the leaves. :D
Here is a photo, of the one I saw on the street, which is small, and is fruiting, but it is near an apartment, so I am not sure, whom to ask about it:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/feltingme ... otostream/
Sorry, I am not sure how to post a photo, it is different from the other forum I use.

Return to “All Other Fruit”