Agardener

Plum Tree

Hi

Any advice on pruning my plum tree please? It has produced a lot of fruits and perhaps it is about time to do it? :idea:

Can I cut away the branch at low level to make it look nicer, no matter it is a big or small branch?

Can I simply cut away whichever brach I want to without damaging my tree?

Any comment is welcome e.g. time of pruning ....

Thanks in advance. :)

Jess
Greener Thumb

Check this link. Will tell you all you need to know. :D
https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0 ... runing.asp

Agardener

Thank you for the link I will try to do it next summer then.

Could you tell me if there is any way to encourage thicker and stronger branch growth? I ask this because a lot of fruits grew on very weak and thin branches, and they were actually hanging down. Sometimes the branch is not strong enough to support the plums. It breaks or just at the blink of breaking.

Thanks again and hope to get more advice :)

Jess
Greener Thumb

When you prune it cut off the weaker branches. This will make it fruit on the thicker wood other than that there is not a lot you can do. Just pick them as soon as they are ripe to keep the weight down....then send me some! :lol:

Agardener

Jess wrote:When you prune it cut off the weaker branches. This will make it fruit on the thicker wood other than that there is not a lot you can do. Just pick them as soon as they are ripe to keep the weight down....then send me some! :lol:
Thanks again for your reply, Jess.

... I will probably lose quite a lot of fruit when I cut off the weak branches. It seems that the fruits always grow on the weak branches which come out from the stronger ones. Never mind, I will try to cut the weaks ones anyway.

If the fruits can suvive the journey I can actullay send you a lot. They are tender, juicy and very sweet :) I have had, I think, more than 300 plums this year and have given away a lot. We will wait for next year before I can send you any :wink:

Return to “All Other Fruit”