LilacLady
Newly Registered

Fig trees in the Pacific NW

Hey all;

I'm looking to get a fig tree and have been searching my options for fig trees.
I live in 8b gardening zone and was wondering if anyone has had any luck with fig trees in this area. I've seen two giant ones, but I've also seen a lot of failed, dead figs.

Any suggestions on types of figs to get or general care to help them succeed?

Thanks and take care,

LilacLady

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Hi!

Brown Turkey and Hardy Chicago are hardy to zone 5!

I live in 7b and grew up around fig trees in this area. Celeste is my personal favorite fig.
You CAN grow less hardy varieties (I think most are hardy to zone 8 though) in cooler zones by planting them in places that can provide them with increased protection from the cold. A south facing red or dark brick/stone wall absorbs a lot of heat during sunny winter days, and then releases that stored heat into the night. This method can give you an extra zone for more tender plants.

LilacLady
Newly Registered

Thank you Lindsay.

Did you see any white figs in your area? I've seen that they're slightly less hardy than some of the brown variety, but should still work in zone 8, but I haven't seen any for sale at my local nurseries. I was wondering if there was a difference in growing fig trees, between brown and white figs.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I've never heard of white figs!

I'm not sure of the growth habits or how it might be different from the other cultivars. I seem to remember there is one particular cultivar that needs a special pollinator insect in order to fruit. ( maybe that was figs? I think it was....)

imafan26
Mod

Brown Turkey and Black Mission taste a lot better than white figs. Even the birds leave the white figs alone here.

Return to “All Other Fruit”