applestar
Mod

W. Murcott Afourer Morocco mandarin seed-grown trees

In this another view of the Green Room Jungle, you see some citrus leaves in the foreground.
image.jpg
This is a result of another one of my --stick some fruit seeds in a container of soil mix and see what happens-- from clementine like mandarin oranges marked "Afourer". 8)

They are comparatively young among my citruses, but have been given better care - not stunted in small containers - and are thriving. Last year, they showed some changed growth patterns that had me hoping they might start blooming, but so far, this fall's growths after coming indoors have been lush and healthy but no obvious sign of buds.

Due to limited space, some of the new shoots with still soft thorns are extending into the walk space activity area of the room and constantly get brushed against, releasing wonderful citrusy aroma. (Who needs artificial chemical room fragrances! :mrgreen: )

I also clip these leaves and brew them in my tea. 8)

imafan26
Mod

You must have a lot of room or a very patient family. I'm glad my plants can stay out all year. I have too much clutter in my house to bring anything inside and cats and plants have not gotten on well together.

One of my former cats loved ornaments. I would come home find the ornaments on the bottom half of the tree gone or find the tree on the floor toppled over and my cat licking the resin off her paws which would make her sick.

Another cat, waited daily for her trip outside to eat the bamboo leaves. She also would eat plastic and cardboard and bread had to be kept in a container because she would chew a hole in the plastic wrapper because she liked the smell of the bread.

Any orchid, even a seedling brought in the house overnight would be found the next morning dug out of its pot. It did not matter where I put it, the cats would get to it and pull it out.

I planted a tray of cat grass for the cats. It was the only thing they totally ignored.

applestar
Mod

Yeah, our climates and growing conditions are literally Oceans apart. As long as I've been here, it's heart warming that we have a connection and bond through our common love of gardening, and I'm old enough for it to be still amazing to me that we can meet like this over the internet. :D

So here in the wintry NJ it takes years and years for an orange tree to *maybe* grow to maturity and fruit. But I've been fascinated by the miracle of little seeds growing since I was a teenager, so I've learned a few things here and there - a little more each year -- and I've learned to be patient, and I'm just contrary enough to insist on trying to find ways to make it happen ...or fail on my own... sometimes despite all advice to the contrary -- which is kind of funny since *I'm* the one sharing what I know about gardening and growing things to anyone who asks now. :lol:

applestar
Mod

These went BONKERS last summer and I had to prune them pretty severely to get them back in the house. So I'm not sure if they will bloom but at least they are back inside and growing....

I came across an Australian NURSERY website where they are selling dwarf Mandarin Afourer Murcott trees grafted onto Trifoliate Orange Flying Dragon for pot culture and winter hardiness, so I HAVE to get my back burner project to grow some Flying Dragon seedlings for rootstock and get practicing on grafting citruses. :bouncey:

Return to “All Other Fruit”