n00bgardener

What tree is this

Hi,

I bought a tree sapling about 2 years back and its kind of uncommon one. I was told a local name of that fruit and I forgot that name. Any idea what tree could this be ?
WP_20141106_001.jpg
WP_20141106_001.jpg (45.35 KiB) Viewed 1250 times
Cheers
-Ady

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Little more information would help, starting with where are you located. This helps narrow down whether we are looking for cold climate trees or southern/ tropical etc. You posted this in Fruit Forum. Are you thinking it is a fruit tree?

Close up picture of leaves would help too. Do those leaves have serrated edges? I was thinking maybe peach, but peach tree leaves have subtle serration:

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/wp-cont ... eaches.jpg

can't quite tell from the picture, are the leaves opposite or alternate:

https://www.buzzle.com/images/trees/tree ... nching.jpg

what is the texture of the leaves, hard or soft? Have you seen the tree flower? What are the flowers like?

The better info you can give us, the more likely you can get an accurate ID.

n00bgardener

Hi !
I am at bangalore, India. This tree was brought from kashmir thousands of kilometers from here. Will send in closeups in the morning. Thank you

The edges are not smoothed.

-Ady

n00bgardener

Dear RainbowGardener
The leaves are alternating. Please see the photographs below.
WP_20141201_001.jpg
WP_20141201_002.jpg
WP_20141201_002.jpg (39 KiB) Viewed 1218 times
-Ady

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Those are excellent pictures! Trees I am familiar with that have leaves like that are willow, peach, black cherry.

I looked through a list of trees commonly cultivated in southeast asia (I know that is not you, but it is as close as I could come):

https://www.fao.org/docrep/005/AC775E/AC775E04.htm

the closest I found was the roseapple/ Malabar plum, Syzygium jambos Myrtaceae Synonym: Eugenia jambos

Unless someone comes along here that can do better (it's a bit slow around here lately and some of our regulars who are really good at ID's have not been posting for awhile), you should look for more local sources of information. Most of us here are on the other side of the world from you. Going through the document linked above was amazing, a zillion trees I never heard of!

Best wishes, sorry I haven't been more help!

n00bgardener

Thanks RainbowGardener,

Thanks for introducing me to the malabar plum - I always wanted that fruit in my home, but this is not that.
I have asked some one from Jammu to figure out what that plant it - I'll post it online once I ID it

-Ady

Return to “All Other Fruit”