Rose bloom
Green Thumb

When will a 1 foot tall, 2 years old mango tree fruit?

I think they bloom at about 10 years old? :x Not sure.

imafan26
Mod

I have seen 4 ft tall grafted mangoes fruit, but not a one foot tall one. If your mango is from seed, you have a while to go before you find out.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, grafted is different from seedling. Relatively small, young (e.g. 2 yr old) mango trees may fruit, but they are grafted. The graft is the same age as the tree it was taken from, usually over 8 years old. The rootstock is from a seedling. If you lost the graft off one of those trees from the nurseries what remains would need to get to 7 or 8 years old before it flowered. From seed you are looking at 8 - 10 years. But the fruit from a seedling tree may not be true to the original and may not be sweet. For people who are not in areas where it can stay out all year, it may be difficult to get it to fruit at all, but So Cal should be OK for this.

Rose bloom
Green Thumb

ok, thnx.

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

imafan26 wrote:I have seen 4 ft tall grafted mangoes fruit, but not a one foot tall one. If your mango is from seed, you have a while to go before you find out.
My two grafted trees are about 4' tall, and I put them in the dirt this Spring. One of them (the Keitt) is fruiting, though I probably should have culled those two to encourage plant growth. But I just couldn't bring myself to do it:

imafan26
Mod

Nice. Keitt is a good variety.

I like common mango the best but they are dinosaurs now. People don't have room in their yards for an 80 ft tree. Most people who still have yards and no height restrictions by their HOA plant Haden mango instead since the tree is a little smaller and the fruit is bigger.

Common mangoes make the best pickled mango and crack seed.

Rose bloom
Green Thumb

Back to the topic. Thanks for the info, and it seems to like the weird weather of CA. It's grown more than 5 inches this past year. The new growth is mostly in one tall, umbrella like branch. Should I prune the " umbrella " or leave it?

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

Yes, things are weird here. My Kent is pushing out a new flush of growth on a few of its branches. In late November. Bizarre.

Rose bloom
Green Thumb

Yup! My mango is also doing that.

Rose bloom
Green Thumb

It's growing at least 5 branches, now 3 years old. The new branches form sort of a crown. :D

Delvi83

Put other photos....very nice tree

Return to “All Other Fruit”