ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

USDA Hardiness Zone Map VS Region Suitability

There is always much discussion on which fruit trees will grow and produce in various parts of the country. I always advise that growers make sure that the cultivars they are considering are region specific. Fruit trees are very region specific.

Although it is a great tool I think that the USDA Hardiness Zone Map can create confusion. What many people fail to realize is that the map reflects only the average low temperatures over the last 30 years. Just because a fruit tree is marked with a particular zone does not mean that it will grow and produce fruit in a particular region within that zone.

https://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/

Take a look at the map. Zone 8a is a great example of what I am talking about. Zone 8a stretches across the country and up into California.

The actual growing conditions of Zone 8a in North Carolina are vastly different than the growing conditions of Zone 8a in west Texas. Fruit trees suitable for Zone 8a in North Carolina are not at all suitable for Zone 8a in west Texas.

When selecting fruit trees region suitability is much more important than a zone rating. The same consideration of region suitability applies to selecting vegetables.

I am frequently baffled by the insistence that since a particular fruit variety is rated for a particular zone then it should thrive and produce in all regions of that zone.

With the internet, researching region suitability takes only a few key strokes. The effort of doing a little home work is minimal compared to the effort, time and money invested in planting fruits and vegetables that simply will not flourish in a particular region.

I've said my bit. I would love input especially from you experienced gardeners.

imafan26
Mod

I do agree. There are also other considerations besides growing zones for suitability. Soil conditions also vary. Citrus trees for example like acidic soil and do not do as well in alkaline soils and they also do not like wet locations as they will be more prone to mold and disease. Citrus here do better at lower elevations. They will grow in the higher elevations but they like to grow warmer.

Certain cultivars do better than others in a region and the extension service in your area will usually have recommendations for varieties that do better because of environmental and sometimes because of a particular cultivar's resistance to prevalent diseases.

Most of the fruit trees that require winter chilling will not grow here. Low chill varieties can be grown in higher elevations above 1000 ft but those varieties are usually not the best tasting.

Return to “All Other Fruit”