PumpkinTryHard
Newly Registered

Pumpkin Flowers not opening?

This is my first year attempting to grow pumpkins. I have JackOlanterns and I live in Florida (I live in West Palm Beach right along the ocean for reference.) Anyways the flowers don't seem to be opening up fully and they just fall off. I haven't been out in the early morning so maybe I am just missing the part where they open or something. I am putting a picture of one of the female flowers. I don't know if it has been pollinated or what so let me know. I water them a lot and they have had full sunlight on them. If anyone has some advice or knows what is happening please let me know. :(
Attachments
image (5).jpg
image (4).jpg
image (3).jpg
image (2).jpg
image (1).jpg

applestar
Mod

Re: Pumpkin Flowers not opening?

I haven't been out in the early morning so maybe I am just missing the part where they open or something.
I think you guessed it. I've noticed that pumpkins/squash bloom very early -- as soon as it's light and bees start to fly and melons tend to bloom later in the morning.

Another thing... I tend to get outside when it's light -- sometimes before sunrise, and I used to see the squash blossoms not opening yet all the time during the summer. We're talking 5:30-6:30am. Lately, the sun doesn't rise until almost 7am (6:45am this morning) so I don't get outside until 6:30-7:30 or so at earliest and the blossoms are already open. Sometimes, if I don't get out until 8-9am and the squash blossoms are sometimes already closing.
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

but if the flowers just fall off without setting fruit, they may not be getting pollinated. Do you see bees visiting them. It takes several visits from a bee for one flower to be completely pollinated. You can try hand pollinating them, which is not difficult.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

PumpkinTryHard
Newly Registered

I see like wasps but again I haven't been able to see the flowers in the morning so I'm not exactly sure if they are even opening or not. I will go out early tomorrow morning to see if they are opening or not. But yes they do just fall off.

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

This year I had ZERO germination from the pumpkin seeds planted.

Return to “FRUIT FORUM”