Neymar Junior
Newly Registered

My mango tree.

Hi guys. Was really wondering if can help me out. I m from Malaysia and I have been working out on how to plant a successful mango tree. The first one failed because it had one leaf and and it was stunt. I continued planting. And all failed. Now my latest one is stunned but alive. Pls help me out on this. Thanks.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

Can you post pictures?

Juliuskitty
Green Thumb

Here are the general guidelines for planting all trees. (This is from my Master Gardener classes)
Examine the rootball. If the roots are tight and in a circular pattern, those circular outside roots need to be trimmed away, or they will not allow rootspread laterally(sideways) and the growth will be stunted.
Dig your hole twice as wide as the width of the rootball, but only 90% as deep. The area where the trunk starts to curve into the roots should always stay uncovered, to allow proper air circulation to that critical area of the young tree. Fill in soil till firm, but not extremely packed down, you want support, but not strangulation! Place mulch about 8-10 inches away from the trunk in a circle around it, built up about 3" high X 6" wide. This will help to create a "bowl" to hold water but again not too close to the breathing zone.
If the tree is leaning, tie support to the tree in a tripod, that is, 3 different directions, making sure the supports are looped around the trunk with some airspace so you don't strangle the trunk with them.
If you want to get fancy, you can sprinkle some citrus lime avocado fertilizer in very lightly before the planting and filling in steps.
We grow a lot of mango trees here in South Florida, I have a huge one producing delicious fruit right now. :-()

Return to “All Other Fruit”