sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

Plum Tree Not Growing - Why?

I've been continuing to add lime to my fruit trees, and finally they're growing great! Well, the plum tree still isn't growing, but the two apple trees are, and so is the peach tree finally.

One apple tree is growing better than the other... the one not growing quite as well, is much closer to the wild blueberries, so I am guessing the ground is probably even more acidic there, I should probably add more lime to that one.

Why the plum tree won't grow, I don't' know! I've given it all the same treatment as the peach and the 2 apples, and nothing! Plums are supposed to be very prolific in growing, but this one just wants to look the same as it did 5 years ago.

My pear tree which was growing great, is now not growing great, but we found a new maple tree growing right next to it, so we chopped that down, in hopes that the pear tree will start to grow again. the maple was growing furiously fast!

my grape vines are out of control, and my raspberries that I relocated are much happier!!! woop!

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

Sounds like mostly everything is doing well! :D

NatureHillsNursery
Cool Member

Congrats on your progress with your fruit trees! I'm not sure what to suggest for your plum. Plum trees tend to be pretty forgiving of a variety of locations, but do often seem to prefer an acidic soil. Perhaps you can try a soil test to see if something is missing from your soil (that plum trees like in particular)…or that your particular variety prefers. Good luck!

GEOSAN

"I've been continuing to add lime to my fruit trees" Why ? Did your soil test recommend it ?
What is the PH of the soil around the area you are growing these trees, etc ?
You did get a soil test, didn't you ?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Sheeshe has been posting for years about her highly acid soil and water supply. Eventually after realizing that the highly acid conditions were creating a lot of problems for her, she corrected the water issues, so that her water is now about neutral (right, shee?). Still has to keep correcting the soil.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

My grapes are out of control also.

Return to “All Other Fruit”