Teddy12b

Fertilizing young fruit trees in July?

So earlier this year I pruned fruit trees that I had planted in early '13. In hindsight I think I pruned those trees way too early and only one of them has flushed out with growth like I was expecting and hoping for. After I had pruned them in mid March we still had plenty of bad weather and cold that I wasn't expecting. Now here I am in mid July and the trees just haven't come out swinging this year yet and they don't look like they're doing very well.

Today over lunch I stopped by lowes and bought a couple 6# bags of Jobes organic 4-4-4 fertilizer with the intent to fertilize my trees. My biggest concern would be that I'd further damage the trees by doing this, but that comes second to wanting the trees to have some amount of healthy growth this year instead of just enough leaves popping out that I know they're still alive.

The trees I'm referring to are in this thread: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... 20&t=56961
I've tried to update that thread as time has gone along but the trees that were pruned still pretty much look just like they do in these pictures.

If anyone has got some suggestions I'd love to hear it.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Fruit trees needed in my yard water first and some bark mulch out to their drip-line.

Water needs be applied at least weekly on year two 10 to 50 gallons per tree (per week).

If you can poke a stick at the drip line and stick your finger in, and it does not come out damp it is past time to water.

Teddy12b

I've got mulch all around my fruit trees. I've got mulch spread out over the whole area between the trees too. When moisture hits that area, it doesn't escape.

Return to “All Other Fruit”