kitty-lover

Fruit tree suckers

I have an apple tree that shoots up suckers every spring. Does anyone know how to eliminate them besides trimming each year. From past trimming it is getting larger each year around the base.
SUE

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Sue,

I realize it's been a long time since you asked about this, but the suckers need to be pruned. I realize there is a build up of woody gnarled stems. Some varieties of trees sucker more then others and some rarely sucker at all. Selecting a tree by the rootstock can help to avoid this problem. I realize that isn't going to help you though. There is a product called Sucker Stopper.
https://www.montereylawngarden.com/faqs/suckerstopper/

I have a serviceberry that suckers alot and I've found that waiting to prune until summer, when they are less likely to resprout, results in fewer suckers.
https://www.weekendgardener.net/how-to/prune-apple-trees.htm

Hope that helps.
Newt

pixelphoto

Same here you are stuck with it.
One of the draw backs of fruit trees.
Its on my monthly calendar to check all fruit trees I have planted and cut them back manually any suckers I find.
I don't mind its routine maintenance to me.

jujutost
Newly Registered

I was hoping someone could give me a timeline on when to transplant a sucker/runner from a tree. (the tree is one with the purple leaves and pink flowers all over.. it has grown suckers and I would like to start a new tree from this.) when should I dig them up and transplant them) or is this a good idea. I was pretty sure I could do this but I can never get the same website twice..lol

thanks

MaineDesigner
Green Thumb

Jujutost, almost all fruit trees, including ornamental crabapples, are grated so the suckers are very unlikely to closely resemble the scion (at this point the main part of the tree).

Return to “All Other Fruit”