Decado
Green Thumb

Raspberry Borer

So I found out today that me and my neighbors all have raspberry borers. I broke the tips off about 20 affected adolescent plants and killed 2 adults but what I'm worried about are the adults I didn't find. Is there something organic that won't poison us we can spray them with? The berrys are just starting to fruit so we'll be eating them.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

From what I've read, they don't recommend chemical control. Moderate infestations can be controlled by cutting just below the double ring of puncture marks. She lays her egg between the 2 rings. The punctures are what cause the plant to wilt. They travel down the stem to the crown and incubate there. It takes 2 years for them to incubate, then they emerge from the soil.

Cutting the vine just below the double ring scar as soon as you see wilting is the recommended control.

If you see the adults, and you can catch them, drown them or crush them.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Oh yeah!

And also, they make a pheromone trap that costs about 5 bucks. It works with sticky paper.

Decado
Green Thumb

Well I clipped off all the plants I could find that had the ring and killed 2 adults but I know there must be more adults around and that's what I'm worried about. Any idea where I can find the trap? A google search yielded nothing.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Decado
Green Thumb

Ohhh, those are for the raspberry crown borers. My problem is with the raspberry cane borers, the beetles.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

The treatment is the same for all 3 types of beetles and also for the crown boring moth. Prune infected canes several inches below the double rings. The crown borers lay on the underside of leaves.

https://www.hort.uconn.edu/ipm/fruit/htms/raspbrrs.htm

As far as the pheromone that's used as a bait, I'm not sure if it will attract the one you're dealing with specifically.

Decado
Green Thumb

My problem is definitely the cane borers. I've found a few.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Cut and burn, baby! Cut. And. burn...

Raspberries are my all time favorite fruit! Sorry you're having trouble! Luckily, the infested parts are very obvious! And for each one you destroy, you'll be destroying countless others.

Return to “All Other Fruit”