bananamangoraspberry
Newly Registered

Ground plant growing over raspberry patch

We have some sort of flat/patchy and spouting ground plant growing all over our raspberries. They've been producing less and less every year for a while now. Can anyone tell what this is or what I should do about it?
2014-06-22 16.04.27.jpg
Attachments
2014-06-22 16.04.13.jpg

applestar
Mod

Since raspberries are shallow rooted, it's very likely that those plants are competing for nutrients and water with the raspberries.

Easiest way to deal with them is to water well or pick a day after good soaking rain and put down several layers of paper or a single layer of corrugated brown cardboard. The paper will smother the ground cover. Leave about 2-4" clear spaces around the stems (you will have to hand weed the spaces (wear gloves).

For paper, I save the Kraft paper and newsprint paper used to cushion packages and use them, but some people do use newspaper. 4-5 sheet layers of newspaper/newsprint paper or 2-3 sheet layers of Kraft paper.

Then pile any kind of mulch on top -- grass clippings, pulled/cut dried weeds, fall leaves, straw, sawdust.... If you mix greens and browns (see compost forum sticky) you will avoid stinky mess from green-only mulch. Again, avoid pushing the mulch up agains the stems.

In fall, rake away the mulch (paper will probably be gone by then) put a layer of compost or manure, and then cover with mulch back up again for the winter.

bananamangoraspberry
Newly Registered

Thanks for a reply! That sounds like a great plan. New gardening project for this weekend! :)

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

What type raspberry plants do you have?

I had Cumberland Raspberry plants in Tennessee they grew canes like blackberry plants. They make berries on 2nd year canes. I had a patch 5 ft wide 12 ft long. I could pick 5 gallons of raspberries from in during the month of July. They have the ability to continue to make berries as long as you continue to pick EVERY berry on the plants. One year I picked berries until last week of October. If you accidently leave 1 berry on the canes that triggers the plant to stop making berries. Too much rain was never a problem sometimes the plants were standing in 2" of water for weeks. TN has 300 days of rain per year, spring is bad sometimes 6" to 14" inches of rain per day.

The plants I bought in Arizona make vines like water melons or sweet potatoes they were 25 feet long covered the whole yard. These were too much work. I cut the vines and dugs up the plants now they are gone.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-CUMBERLAND-BL ... 53ecf2b181

Return to “All Other Fruit”