Habanero

strawberries flower and die - help!

Hi everyone. I'm not sure what's going on with my strawberry plants. I bought four of them and planted in the same bed. They get plenty of water every morning and 6-8 hours of sun a day. The leaves are a beautiful green, large, waxy, and quite healthy. The plant stands strong with no wilting whatsoever.

The flowers, however, simply die. They bloom, they're pretty, and then they just perish. I attached a picture of the leftover flower stem with the black center.
strawberries.jpg
I would appreciate any help someone can give me. Thanks!

-Habs

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I would just pinch those off. When did you plant them? If it was this year, I wouldn't expect too much from them. When I get new plants, I deadhead them for the full first season. That way they can concentrate on good root and leaf growth. Next year they'll give you a few nice berries per plant!

They are trying to survive right now and get their roots going. If they are older plants, patience is a virtue...(I'm the worst!).

What KIND of strawberries are they? That makes a difference too.

applestar
Mod

I really don't know why they would look like that -- looks like the way mine looked when the blossoms got blasted by frost, but obviously that's not the issue here.

Any pollinators like bees around? Strawberries need to be pollinated by insects.

You *could* try hand pollinating new blossoms by using soft watercolor or makeup brush to transfer pollen from one flower to another.

Habanero

Thanks for getting back to me Lindsay.

The tags say they're sequoia strawberries, if that's any help. I let my kids pick fruit to grow, hoping it would encourage them to take interest in gardening and eating what they grow. So far no luck. Maybe the tomatoes will be more inspiring.

I pinched off the dead heads, as you recommended. Maybe next year we'll get a few berries out of these plants.

Thanks!

-Habs

Return to “All Other Fruit”