timpolo
Newly Registered

Starting a Nectarine tree

Hello,
I am very new to trying to grow a fruit tree. I will start it in my home seeing the winter months here in Chicago are very cold. Any info or suggestions would be greatly apprecited. I have a Nectarine that was purchased from my local grocery store. I was wondering, could I start with that seed? If so do I need to dry the seed, wash the seed, how long to dry, special dirt, alot of sun, water every day? THese are just some of the basics.

Thanks again.

Sweyn

Not really any special preparation needed. I experimented with Nectarine seeds and found it easy to start. Just put a seed straight into some ordinary soil or peat and keep it damp. It grows easily but mine failed because it was in the same room as another plant that had Spider mites. That killed it.

It needs to be in a south or west-facing position.

You could take a short cut and buy a young tree. That way you don't have to wait for the flowers and fruits.

timpolo
Newly Registered

Sweyn wrote:Not really any special preparation needed. I experimented with Nectarine seeds and found it easy to start. Just put a seed straight into some ordinary soil or peat and keep it damp. It grows easily but mine failed because it was in the same room as another plant that had Spider mites. That killed it.

You could take a short cut and buy a young tree. That way you don't have to wait for the flowers and fruits.
Can I use the seed from a nectarine I ate? Do I need to dry the seed out and for how long?

Sweyn

timpolo wrote:
Sweyn wrote:Not really any special preparation needed. I experimented with Nectarine seeds and found it easy to start. Just put a seed straight into some ordinary soil or peat and keep it damp. It grows easily but mine failed because it was in the same room as another plant that had Spider mites. That killed it.

Can I use the seed from a nectarine I ate? Do I need to dry the seed out and for how long?
Yeah, you can use it. Seed I used didn't need drying; just removal of all the bits of the lovely fruit flesh. It's easy.

it's the same with other fruit seeds.

Return to “All Other Fruit”