PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Apricot and Peach tree help

Hi,

Recently I was given a peach and apricot tree. Both are around 4 feet tall with one main trunk and a bunch of side branches. The varieties are Golden Kist for the apricot and Red Baron for the peach. I transplanted the apricot to a 15 gallon container. The peach I want to put into the ground. I am not sure how to prep the ground before I plant the tree. Also, I am not sure on the care of the trees for the first few years. Some sites say no fertilizer, some also say to prune them the first few years to a central leader system. I plan to keep both tree short around 6-7 feet by pruning them. But another problem arises with this. I am not experienced with how these trees fruit. I read something about spur wood and if this is pruned off you lose fruit production.

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Hi, We've planted lots of fruit trees in the last several years. Here's what worked for us. We did dig large holes: 18"-2' across and about the same in depth. We would put some manure in the hole about 4" than about 4" of soil, than 4" of manure and again 4" of soil,, set the tree and continue alternating manure and soil.

We have clay here and wind so we watered and staked as we though necessary. We pruned, everyone prunes differently, I finally had to decide how I would prune, when you decide how you'll do it you will be right. I watched videos on line, that and remembering how father did it and made the decision and pruned. You'll shape them as you want next year and years after.

The trees were almost all bare root. All are doing fine. Best of luck.

Richard

Return to “All Other Fruit”