applestar
Mod

Re: How much sun protection should I give my pawpaw trees?

LMFAO nutz:

...Ha. These trees are in a sort of “showcase” location in the front yard ... I guess I should have researched more thoroughly before picking a location. I *could* hang something on the lone tree in the back once that one starts to bloom.... :idea:) :kidding:

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

:roll: I suppose there are some situations where hand pollinating might be appropriate...

applestar
Mod

I just had an idea — I Could appropriate the birdhouse and put something inside .. neighbors will never know where the whif is coming from.... :>

applestar
Mod

Tah-Dah!! FIRST EVER PAWPAW fruit developing on one of the Paw&Paw trees. (Yes I took photos from multiple angles of the single fruit :> )
Attachments
39864BBF-4FC4-4AEB-A194-2D41EC630308.jpeg

applestar
Mod

I bought these as seedlings when interest in pawpaws was just starting to gain attention and suppliers were starting to explore the best ways to grow started plants that could be safely shipped, planting instructions that would work, etc. There were specialty “experts” but overall supply was limited and expensive as well as failure reports were still not uncommon.

I opted for the less expensive and smaller container-grown seedlings rather than grafted older trees in larger pots, etc. I also posted about my interest and received a box of freshly harvested seeds from a generous fellow gardening hobbyist, that I planted all over the property — I only managed to save one of the resulting seedlings but it’s growing in the backyard, so I actually have three trees.

At the time, there was some question about whether a grafted tree would survive here, too, and there were maybe three cultivars that were generally available.

Now, grafted pawpaws are pretty commonly offered and about half dozen cultivars to choose from. If I could find the room, I would likely opt for a grafted tree. That way, I would see mature fruit-bearing growth faster. — In addition to guaranteed fruit characteristics, disease resistance and other conferred desirable traits, THIS is a major advantage of grafted fruit trees.

I might now have another option though — find sources for scion wood or bud grafts and create multi-cultivar branches onto the three trees I have.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

remind me in wintertime! I have 4 non-peterson varieties for easy sharing (and if you can figure out where to send a bit of money for the petersons, 4 varieties of those)…and will probably get more scion too. most of my trees are from cultivar crosses, so there’s a few ‘rootstock’ varieties that seem promising too. plenty of options.

applestar
Mod

Ooooh !potatoes! THANK YOU THANKYOU!! I will definitely work out the details with you later :-()

I don’t know the significance of peterson’s :oops: but coming from you it must mean something good. :D

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

https://www.petersonpawpaws.com/

neal peterson has done some awesome work, collecting old varieties of pawpaws and breeding new ones, focusing on flavor, size, and minimizing the percent by weight of the seeds. generally when his trees are bought, one pays a royalty to support the work he’s done and still does. usually just a buck or so, I think. I’m happy to share but want to support him as possible.

applestar
Mod

I TOTALLY understand. Thanks for the link — had a quick glance and I recognize some of those named cultivars! Fantastic. 8)

I’m stuck in the house today so will be poring over these pages. :()

Return to “All Other Fruit”