Habanero

Blueberry Advice in Zone 8a

Hi there everyone. I'm hoping I can get a bit of advice from someone who knows what they're doing, as my black thumb is sure to thwart me if left to my own devices.

I'm in a mountainous region in California, zone 8a, and would really like to plant some blueberries. I've done a lot of reading on them, but I think my area is a bit odd for the plant. I get highs of 115º in the summer with an average of around 90º for 3-4 months of the year, then lows of around 10º with an average of about 40º for another 3-4 months of the year. We're currently in a drought, but I'm on a well and the company says drip systems are okay for right now. Though I didn't want to have any plants that I need to water (natives are awesome like that), I want blueberries badly enough to make an exception.

So with the research I've done it looks like I'd need to plant Southern Highbush. I guess I'd need a few varieties of it for better and longer lasting berries. I'm just not sure if, given my extreme climate, the poor blueberry plant will survive.

My other concern is the size. I plan on planting it on the first tier in this picture:
Photo May 10, 6 48 11 PM.jpg
It'll be about 3.5 feet off the ground, and that tier itself is maybe 3 feet wide. I'm afraid that if the plant is too tall, then no one will be able to reach the berries except the legion of squirrels and birds who currently lay claim to my yard. If I'm correct in assuming that Southern Highbush is right for my area, does this plant grow very tall? Is it possible to prune it short, or will that kill it? Can I plant it against the wall behind that tier to make walking room?

Thanks for any advice you guys give, it's greatly appreciated!

-Habby

Habanero

Oh! Forgot one thing. Is it too late in the season to plant the Southern Highbush variety? I'd hate to wait a whole year to plant, but I don't want to kill it.

Thanks!

-Habby

tomc
Super Green Thumb

With your area blueberry may not work, no matter how routinely you acidify soil. Look at amelancher.

Habanero

I looked that one up and it definitely looks viable except for one thing: the varieties with the good fruit seem to be trees, and I just don't have the room for trees there.

I guess I'll harass a local nursery and see what they have to say about it. Thanks.

Return to “All Other Fruit”