Smallgardener

Peach Tree Suckers

I have an old peach tree that for the last two years has not set on hardly any blooms. The tree has had bores in it and the main trunk is cracking. But I have some two foot tall suckers coming off the base of the tree. Two are about 18" above the ground and two that are 6" off the ground.

Would it be possible to cut the tree off and let the suckers grow and replace the tree?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't know all that much about fruit trees and hopefully some of our regulars that know more will come along.

But I'm thinking the answer is no. Suckers arise from the roots and watersprouts arise from the trunk and branches and the advice is always to cut them all off, because they just suck energy from the tree without being real productive. Fruit trees are often grafted, so any shoots arising from below the graft will be the rootstock, not the tree that has been fruiting. But even besides that, I don't think the water sprouts will ever be as strong as the tree you had.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

If borers got into the cambium of the parent tree enough to girdle it, their children are already at work on the volunteers. Cut the whole deal down, dig out the stump, and let the ground rest for a year or two to clear borers out. Before starting over.

Return to “All Other Fruit”