TalSlavinski
Newly Registered

Mango tree problems

Hello from israel.
Would love to hear some advice about my mango tree .
We planted a mango tree graduate in October , its type is "Shelly" we've been told that it's 15 years old at the nursery
It came with no leaves at all just the trunk
Two weeks later it grew two beautiful leaves at the top and at the branches
Then came the winter it was'nt a rainy winter
Now all the garden wake up and grow new leaves all the other plants and trees ( plum Fisrdi , magnolia , lemon, plum cherry bells , cherry Rio Grande ) .
Apart the mango tree ,
It just dries the little leaves and neither grow new leaves , all the leaves have already fallen down , he has left some at the top of tree and it dries too.
What could be the problem ?
We thought maybe watering is not enough?
How much water should a mature tree consume a week?
It has a hose around the trunk , about eight dropper of 2 liters per hour , for the whole garden watering and fertilizing machine .
We increased irrigation for two hours three times a week - is enough?
What other reason could there be to dry the leaves ?
Thanks

NatureHillsNursery
Cool Member

I don't have any experience with mango trees, but wanted to comment that I think it must be great to have one in your own yard. I know mangos are very healthy, and what better way to have fresh mangos than to pick them right off your own tree!

imafan26
Mod

You did not say how big the mango tree was only that it was 15 years old. I don't know what mango does in Israel but it is a common tree here. It likes hotter drier parts of the island and will become very large but produce very little fruit in the upper elevations.

In general, the tree usually does not go dormant here. Trees are usually grafted since seeds take about 7 years to produce fruit and not all seedlings produce nice fruit. When transplanted from a nursery pot, the tree should not have been pot bound, here they would always have leaves, and until they are established they need regular water. After the trees have been around a few years most people never water their trees anymore, but our climate is not the same as yours. Mango roots go deep and can find water when they are older and we have two seasons wet and hot. Where mango grows best they get about 20 inches of rain a year.

I am guessing the tree you had did not get enough water. It helps to retain water if you work a lot of compost into the soil before you plant the tree and make sure the soil is thoroughly moistened before the tree goes in.

https://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/HC-2.pdf

Aida

Good luck with your tree!!!

I dream of planting trees. Pomegranate, peach, mango, papaya...
But I am going away to college in a year so it just seems a waste. :(
(The rest of the family isn't very fond of those except for peaches)

Return to “All Other Fruit”