nataneko
Newly Registered

Raspberry- leaves browning/drying from outside in

I purchased pretty healthy raspberry plants in gallon containers. After letting them sit for a couple weeks I planted them. They seemed to be fine for about 2 weeks, then started showing signs of leaves "lightening", new/top leaves becoming light green, kind of neon-ish where the veins are. Now the leaves are browning, drying and dieing. One of the plants is completely destroyed, and one is starting to do the same. What is wrong? What can I do to save them? I am desperate... I didn't use any chemicals, there is no sign of nested insects on them (I am fighting june bugs though, by picking them). Please help! I did use some gypsum (1/2 of recommended), rock dust and calcitic lime (not dolomite lime) very lightly dusted and worked into soil several days prior planting. Can itt cause the problem? What can I do? Thanks in advance for help
Attachments
P. S. Taken at night, with dew down
P. S. Taken at night, with dew down

JONA878
Greener Thumb

It looks to me as if they are drying out because they are losing water faster through the leaves than the new roots can take it up. If left as they are the danger is the whole plant may desiccate through water loss.
Cut the canes back to just a few buds above the ground to let the roots get established.
This is normal practice when planting bare root raspberries and does them no harm.
New cane will grow from below ground level from the root system.

NatureHillsNursery
Cool Member

Sorry to hear about your raspberry plants. It can be SO frustrating to have problems with new plants! It’s just a guess…but I suspect that the root system wasn’t developed enough on these raspberries to support the new growth. There might also be the issue of shock from the transplant. I would suggest cutting them back a bit and adding a little fertilizer when you water them. Good luck!

nataneko
Newly Registered

Just a short update as a thank you for advises. Time proved it was root damage. After transplanting the plants tried to adjust, but a freeze night did it's evil job, even though I covered the plants. Following your suggestions, I could save save all but 1 plant. They "partially died", but did shoot new growth. Thank you

Return to “All Other Fruit”