h2o

Is My Plum Tree Dead? Or Still Hope To Save It?

I am a new gardener needs redemption. Here is my story.

When I moved into my house 10 years back. Previous owner planted this plum tree in our back yard and we enjoyed the fruits it produced with very minimum effort. So did the raccoon family around our area. :lol:

3 years back, I still enjoyed the plums produced from my care-free plum tree. Although there were some ants came in and out enjoying the sap (I think). I thought it's part of "sharing" with the nature and I did not pay attention to it. 8)

2 years ago, half of tree trunk started dying, leaves only came out from 1 side of truck and bear no fruit at all. I saw bugs came in and out of the tree trunk. Due to I did not know this web site back then, I thought a bug killer may save it. So I bought and applied Scotts Bug-B-Gon Insecticidal Soap and waited for a year. :?

Last year, situation became worse, no leave came out at all. One friend told me that Dormant Spray Kit might help the situation. So I bought it and applied both Lime Sulphur and Horticultural Oil according to the instruction. :(

Another year past, there still is no sign of resurrection. :cry: Branches are either dried away or rotten, I think. I attached 6 pictures for my plum tree as below for it's current situation.

So, my question is - do you think my plum tree is totally dead? Or, there is still hope to save it? If there is still hope, how can I save it? Any suggestion will be appreciated. I am strong enough to take either bad news or good news. It's a debt I need to repay my garden any way.

Regards,
H2O
Attachments
Rotten branches?
Rotten branches?
Dried away branches
Dried away branches
Hundreds of little holes on the main trunk
Hundreds of little holes on the main trunk
Opened tree bark
Opened tree bark
After mess of the carpenter ants?
After mess of the carpenter ants?
Full picture of my plum - 3+ meters (10 feet) tall
Full picture of my plum - 3+ meters (10 feet) tall

JosephsGarden
Cool Member

h2o wrote:do you think my plum tree is totally dead?
Yes.

applestar
Mod

I'm afraid "bugs coming in and out" of the trunk is usually a very bad sign. I suppose at that point, the entire one side might have been cut off to determine how far they had burrowed, though such drastic surgery in itself could have killed it.

You probably still have time to plant a new balled and burlapped or potted fruit tree if it's early enough in the spring season. Don't plant a stone fruit in this same spot though.

Good luck.

h2o

Thank you all for the quick reply. I should had came to this web site earlier. The professionalism and warm sharing here are indeed very helpful. Although it is a sad news to me with some unspeakable emotion, at least I can move on now. I also learned my big lesson - nothing is care-free! :)

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Prunus (that'd be) plum peach almond nectarine cherry, are all at risk from insect attack that eat the inner bark in their larval stage.

Needs an active instead of a passive spray regime or a steady replacement supply. In nature when you have a naturally sweet sap, there will be party crashers who can hurt your trees.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Nice thing, especially with plum trees, is that the dwarf and semi dwarf come into production so quickly, often within 2-3 years of planting. For the home orchard, IMO, dwarfs are hands down the best choice for quick, full sized fruit on an easy to maintain tree. Here in sandy central South Carolina plum trees tend to be fairly short lived. My plan is to keep a succession of young trees growing in containers. Those will be used as replacements whenever necessary. The dwarfs will give a decent harvest even when growing in a large pot.

Stark brothers and Rain Tree Nursery both have an excellent variety of high quality trees.

h2o

To Tom, when you say "insect attack", does it include ant?
From my other post https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... 20&t=57488, it sounds ant neither make nor destroy the party.

To Alex, everything you shared are new to me. Never thought it will be possible to plant a fruit true indoor. When you say dwarf in a large pot, how tall it will be usually?
Stark brothers and Rain Tree Nursery all accept online order. But not quite sure they can ship to Canada. Rain Tree Nursery is closer to Vancouver though, only 4 hours of drive from Vancouver.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Not inside, mine are planted in large 25-35 gallon pots near my main gardening area. I don't know if pot culture will work or not so far north, though I assume that Vancouver has a moderate marine climate. If it doesn't get too cold, then you should have much easier success with pot culture, because fruit trees generally do better in colder climates, and our long, hot summers make pot culture a bit of a challenge.

NatureHillsNursery
Cool Member

I understand where you’re coming from. I enjoy wildlife, and like to “share” when I can, but in this case an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. The time to take action was years back when the ants began to appear. I fear the damage is far too advanced now for it to be worth your time or money to save the tree. Luckily, as others were saying, plum trees can mature quickly, so you should be able to have a replacement producing in no time.

Return to “All Other Fruit”