jb02007

Are there any fruit trees that do well in alot of shade?

Hey everyone I am working on my garden and I have a lot of shaded areas and want to plant a couple more fruit trees but not sure if they would do well because of the lack of sun. Are there any fruit trees that do well in a lot of shade? Help is much appreciated thank you.

applestar
Mod

Where do you live?

Also what kind of shade? Trees? Buildings?
What time of day is it shady and what time of day does the area get sun? For how long?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I don't have personal experience as to how great the fruit tastes, but several varieties of kousa digwood trees produce sweet edible fruit. I have several kousa's planted but they have not flowered or fruited yet. While not trees, many blueberry varieties will fruit in pretty dense shade.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

pawpaws are happy in shade, and will produce fruit, but somewhat less fruit in shade than in full sun.

re: kousa, I like the fruit (though to some it's an acquired...texture), but they don't fruit as much in shade, or ripen well. another dogwood, the cornelian cherry (C. mas) has a reputation for fruiting in shade, but in my experience it prefers full sun, too.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

almost anything will fruit better with more sun, but there are things that will produce fruit in pretty much shade. I think raspberries are one of the best examples, but also mulberry, choke cherry, elderberry.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Typo in above post 'dogwood'.

imafan26
Mod

Kumquats do ok in a pot in the shade as long as the light is good. So do Surinam cherries but you have to find a tree that is sweet, most are sour but they are very high in vitamin C.

jb02007

applestar wrote:Where do you live?

Also what kind of shade? Trees? Buildings?
What time of day is it shady and what time of day does the area get sun? For how long?
I live in Pennsylvania. The shade is produce by other trees that are a little on the tall side. Around the evening. Thank you everyone for your help and advice.

NatureHillsNursery
Cool Member

There are a lot of fruiting plants that will do ok in shade. I have currants under my apple trees, and they yield wonderful harvests. In a tree, I would suggest a Paw Paw. I’ve only a few (they’re still cute little things), but they seem to be growing well in semi-shade. I don't have any fruit yet, but I’ve heard others grow them in shade. Good luck with whatever you decide to try.

applestar
Mod

I would have thought currants and gooseberries, too, though you may need to make sure you're allowed to grow them. NJ has some restrictions -- not sure about Pa.

Huckleberries and blackberries maybe, and also Elderberries if along the edge, but they will try to migrate out. Wild strawberries (Fragaria virginiana)....

Hm... Moving farther and further away from "trees".... :P

jb02007

I might try growing currants. I don't think there is a restriction on them here though I'll do my research to be safe. Thanks everyone!

Return to “All Other Fruit”