jb02007

My plum tree I bought last year is already blooming!

My plum tree I bought last year is already blooming! I wonder how many plums I'll get?
Attachments
my plum tree.jpg
my plum tree.jpg (44.88 KiB) Viewed 868 times

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

My guess is 7 1/2, how many people are in this Betting Pool, how much for each guess, and how big is the pot now?

Richard

Mine were the same, blossomed the first year, you have to watch the birds, squirrels also if you have them there.

jb02007

I definitely will keep a look out for unwanted pest. It's not growing in a pot if that's what you're asking.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

"How big is the pot?" pot - total amount of money bet so far, that winning bet will receive. Yankee humor!

BTW, I had several young blooming plums last year. The harvest ranged from 1 on a plant to over a dozen. Mine were container grown, though have been placed into the ground this year. They are loaded with blooms this spring. Will probably have to cull 90% of the fruit that set.

jb02007

Thanks for clearing that up I wasn't sure what was meant when the pot was brought up. Good to know thank you.

NatureHillsNursery
Cool Member

I don't know what variety of plum tree you have, but plum trees will usually produce fruit in their third or fourth year. We have one that produced early, but the fruit was really small. I'm hoping for a larger, sweeter harvest this year. Good luck with your plum tree!

GEOSAN

What kind of plum tree? Some need a pollinator nearby.
Also, the 1st 2 or 3 years should be devoted to growing a strong structure, not fruit.

jb02007

GEOSAN wrote:What kind of plum tree? Some need a pollinator nearby.
Also, the 1st 2 or 3 years should be devoted to growing a strong structure, not fruit.
When I bought the tree it was already a mature tree however, last year it only had one plum and didn't bloom this early. I checked on it yesterday and it's fruiting. I counted 7 but I think there may be more. I will post the name and updated picture of it later today.

Return to “All Other Fruit”