Ellenknndy
Newly Registered

Meyer dwarf lemon tree - plenty flower buds, no fruit!

I have a dwarf Meyer lemon tree that is 5+ years old. Currently it has plenty of flower buds, two lemons that are still green from last year that never ripened and one new lemon bud about half the size of my pinky nail! I have only once been able to get one real lemon from the tree and it actually wasn't ready yet! I am wondering if I should give up on this guy and buy a new one, but I would hate to give up! The tree is in a deep planter on the back patio and receives the afternoon sun. I've recently noticed what I believe to be lichen growing on some of the branches and the trunk. I use the citrus version of miracle grow and live in south louisiana.... Any body have any ideas? Pictures attached and you can see the lichen when zooming into one of those pictures!
Attachments
Planter on patio
Planter on patio
I know the tree is dark, but I wanted to show where the sun sets.
I know the tree is dark, but I wanted to show where the sun sets.
Lots of buds!
Lots of buds!
If you zoom in here, you can see the lichen on the right side of the photo
If you zoom in here, you can see the lichen on the right side of the photo
New lemon bud!
New lemon bud!
Tree on patio in planter
Tree on patio in planter

applestar
Mod

Wow I wish mine was doing as well -- all those new flower buds will open soon and if there is sufficient pollinator activity (bees, etc) you should see more baby lemons. If you don't see insects working the flowers, you may need to assist with cotton swab or soft watercolor or makeup brush.

The lichen in itself I don't think is a big problem, but it IS growing where there is a broken branch tip. It's never a good idea to leave them like that. You should cut those jagged dead stubs off with sharp pruners or a knife for a clean cut just above where the branch divides.

I'm thinking I see signs of mites too, but I'm not sure. Maybe someone else can make positive ID.

imafan26
Mod

90% of the blossoms fall off. That is normal. Your tree looks healthy but in a pot it is typical not to get a whole lot of fruit. Feed it with miracle grow for acid loving plants now that it is in bud, it needs more food when it is using energy to fruit. I also use citrus food for maintenance with each growth cycle. To get more fruit you need to let the plant get bigger, so put it in a larger pot.

NatureHillsNursery
Cool Member

What a beautiful lemon tree! Even without lemons, I wouldn’t get rid of it! However, if you want to encourage fruit, then (as someone else suggested), I’d try transplanting it. As to the lichen, I don't think that’s a problem. Mites however (if they’re present as someone else suggested they might be), could be a big problem if not dealt with. I’ve had lemons on my indoor lemon tree, but only a couple over several years, and not of high quality. So perhaps, potted lemon trees just struggle more when it comes to fruiting. Good luck!

Return to “All Other Fruit”