PersianNerd
Newly Registered

I have Citrus and a Fig tree

hey all! ok so I have never been good with plants of any kind. however when we moved into our new home I made it my goal to learn and do better. I planted a fig tree, lemon, key lime and an orange tree in my back yard the figg all but died over the winter months but is springing back the citrus's seem to be fairing well. I went to disney where one of there garden people told me the best thing for my trees is to go to a cow or horse farm gather some manure mix it with water and water my trees with manure tee as much as I want. he told me it was safe to do the same day I collected the manure is this true? also I keep herring its not a good idea to mulch around my trees is that true as well?

PersianNerd
Newly Registered

No? No one? ok.

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Re mulching your trees PN.

Nearly all trees and plants benefit from mulching.
There are a few things to look out for though.
Apply mulch only once the ground is wet as a heavy mulch will act as a thatch and can stop water getting through to the plant.
Mulch applied once the ground is wet will hold that moisture in and keep the plant happy.
Never use fresh FYM ( farm yard manure). Leave it in a heap to 'cook' for a few months to allow the ammonia etc to dissipate.
Never apply the mulch if it is FYM up to the trunk. leave a gap of a foot or so , as the manure can scorch and damage the bark...especially on young trees.
Mixing fresh manure with water in a tank does produce a watering product....but it will need diluting....and it can whiff a bit.!!!

PersianNerd
Newly Registered

JONA878 wrote:Re mulching your trees PN.

Nearly all trees and plants benefit from mulching.
There are a few things to look out for though.
Apply mulch only once the ground is wet as a heavy mulch will act as a thatch and can stop water getting through to the plant.
Mulch applied once the ground is wet will hold that moisture in and keep the plant happy.
Never use fresh FYM ( farm yard manure). Leave it in a heap to 'cook' for a few months to allow the ammonia etc to dissipate.
Never apply the mulch if it is FYM up to the trunk. leave a gap of a foot or so , as the manure can scorch and damage the bark...especially on young trees.
Mixing fresh manure with water in a tank does produce a watering product....but it will need diluting....and it can whiff a bit.!!!

So would you suggest putting a thin layer of (I bought black cow rather than the fresh I got scared off it) down the put a thin layer of mulch of course leaving a gap between the mulch and manure and the tree or just mulch it then put the black cow manure bag in a pail and water it down to a Liquid solution and water the trees with that?

imafan26
Mod

Citrus trees are acid loving and needs micros especially iron. I use citrus food because it has good micros on just about everything

Figs are less fussy about fertilizer but need very good drainage and their roots spread out along the surface so to contain them longer, keep them in a pot. They also don't do well if root knot nematodes are a problem.

https://cals.arizona.edu/maricopa/garden ... s/MC91.pdf
https://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/p ... c1353.html

Return to “All Other Fruit”