Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Oranges, Tangerines, Lemons, Grapefruits are all ripe.

Blood Oranges in the middle, left side Arizona Sweets, right side Tangerines. I picked a 5 gallon bucket of each from a friends trees, some pink grapefruits and several lemons. Juice from blood orange looks like raspberry juice, low acid, good flavor, weird color. Mandarin oranges are the best orange but I don't have any. I hope Food City has a special on mandarin oranges last year they were 8 for $1. Tangerines are best, they are so sweet, better flavor than any orange. Lots of free oranges on Craigslist but nothing close to me. I have a dwarf orange tree in my back yard it made 11 oranges. LOL.

This is my juice squeezer made from 2 2x8 boards and 2 door hinges.

Almost 3 gallons of juice ready to boil. I am 1 cup short of 3 gallons. Oranges from 3 trees and about 20 tangerines. I am not getting much pulp with this juice press, I love the pulp too. Boil the juice and the acid boils off in about 15 minutes. Low acid and no acid is much easier on my stomach. I put the juice in empty 2 liter soft drink bottles then put it in the refrigerator. It will be gone in a few days.

Here is the video, making juice. The video works for me, I hope it works for you. Click the link.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=78 ... =2&theater

applestar, I keep having to make more juice and orange marmalade it is so good it does not last long. I'm not sure what the yield is, I might have squeezed 80 oranges, 20 tangerines, 10 lemons to get 3 gallons of juice.

If you want to make orange marmalade, here is a great recipe. Squeeze the juice into a large pot. Put the smashed oranges in the pot with the juice then bring to a boil. Turn off the heat, place lid on top, let it set over night. Next day remove the oranges. Boil juice to reduce volume by half this will double the flavor by getting rid half the water. Add 1 1/2 gallons of sugar to 1 1/2 gallons of juice. Orange peals have a lot of pectin so you might not need to buy Sure Jell that is why we boiled the oranges in the juice and let it set over night to get more flavor, more pulp, more pectin. Boil juice about 7 to 10 minutes to see if it becomes thick. If it gets thick it is ready for jars. If it does not get thick add pectin = Sure Jell.
Last edited by Gary350 on Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:45 pm, edited 20 times in total.

applestar
Mod

Hope you get the video figured out -- I'm eager to see it 8)
Did you mix the juices together? How much total juice yield?
Do you plan to freeze? Pasteurize and bottle?

Meatburner

Man, I bet that is some good stuff! We cannot grow citrus around here so I cannot even imagine how good it would be that fresh. We can grow apples, peaches, pears, grapes, mellons, etc but not citrus.

Return to “All Other Fruit”