Rose bloom
Green Thumb

How to plant coffee plant

I was wondering how to plant a coffee plant.

Rose bloom
Green Thumb

Oops I put this in the wrong forum. How do I move it?

imafan26
Mod

Coffee can be grown in a container. In the ground it is a tree or shrub that gets about 10 ft tall. It is an understory tree and is in the gardenia family. So, if you can grow gardenia, it is about the same.

Since I live in Hawaii, I know about growing coffee here best. I in zone 12a. Remember the Folger's coffee commercial with Juan and the donkey and about the best coffee being mountain grown. Reality is that most commercial coffee is grown at between 1000-2000 ft elevation. It prefers the cooler temperatures and more acidic soil than what it would have near the seashore but it is not frost tolerant. Being an understory tree it helps to have nurse trees to protect it from wind and sometimes give it additional dappled shade especially if the area is very hot. Like most plants in the gardenia family it is a relatively heavy feeder and you need to keep on top of the pests.

https://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs ... ffee08.pdf

urbanindie
Newly Registered

Hi there, I am a new gardener, but I ordered some dwarf arabica coffee seeds and I soaked them in water for about ten hours and stuck them in a pot yesterday. I can let you know if they sprout, I'd like to hear about your progress as well, germination is supposed to take ninety days, so it is a tedious project it sounds like. I live in Colorado so mine have to be indoor plants, but research says to plant them in a large pot aobut one and a half inches down with plenty space because of a large tap root.

applestar
Mod

My little shrub from this thread is still growing in its 2 gal bucket -- spending the winter inside.
:arrow: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... hp?t=22400

Some links and info in the thread. :wink:

(PM me or another mod to have a thread moved :D )

applestar
Mod

This thread is now in the Fruit Forum :wink:

Rose bloom
Green Thumb

Thank you so much.

Return to “All Other Fruit”