Nightowls

Raspberry - disease, poor care, or natural?

Last spring, I bought a Heritage Raspberry and by fall it looked like this...

9/07/13

10/20/13

The canes do not look right and I am thinking it is diseased (cane blight?). But this is my first raspberry and only my second year growing anything so, what do you all think?

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Other than your canes look to be drowning, I'm missing obvious signs of disease.

applestar
Mod

Raspberry is deciduous, so the leaves yellow, dry up and fall off in autumn. The canes will harden with dried bark. If the cane had fruited during the last season, it will die off and need to be pruned at the ground level, if not, then it will fruit this season so don't cut it but just trim winter killed tip down to just above a healthy strong growth in spring when the bud breaks.

Raspberries will grow a significant root system so if you haven't planted it in the ground (fall would have been a good time), it should planted in early spring as soon as the ground thaws and can be dug (dries out from the thaw and is no longer mucky). If you are going to try to grow this in a container, you are going to need at least a half-barrel planter -- new canes will grow from the roots.

...looking back to the OP I see you said this is 'Heritage' which us autumn harvested isn't it? Not positive I described where to prune correctly since mine fruits in the summer.

Papajim
Newly Registered

The holes in the leaves are probably insect caused , possibly a Raspberry fruitworm. Spinosad is supposed to be effective and is OMRI approved. Raspberries don't like wet feet so make sure your container or garden has good drainage. Heritage is a fine raspberry. It is everbearing , producing two crops per year, one in summer and the second one in fall. I don't grow Heritage here in the mountains of Montana because the fall crop is too late to beat the frosts. Our first frost date is Sept 21. If your first frost date is in October you should get a fall crop. Your summer crop will be produced on last year's canes. Prune these canes to the ground after they have finished bearing. Destroy these canes , don't compost them or you will get disease. :cry: Raspberries are my favorite fruit I know you will not be sorry you decided to grow them. Here's wishing you great gardening. :D Papajim

Nightowls

Alright, so poor care it is :clap: :> better conclusion than disease - it's easier to fix.

The portion of my garden that I have cordoned off for in-ground plants does not get a lot of sun and so I am trying to keep most of my berry plants in containers. Then they are safe from the dog and I can move them around as the sun changes throughout the year.

Would they really be better off in the ground? I have two/three possible spots. Two in the fenced off area are part sun (less in summer when the trees are filled in). One is next to some catmint and honeyberry (where I usually try to grow lavender). The other is a bit more shaded - I was growing mojito mint there but moved all of it to an area that I am battling knotweed in. :evil: Invasive 1 vs Invasive 2, stay tuned to see who wins!

I am also thinking of putting a raised bed (using a door frame) where the containers in the pics are but the likelihood of the dog getting into it is high.

To keep the raspberries in a container, what size should I use (current one is 22", I think)? And what should the mixture consist of? I think I had used coir, perlite, & vermiculite.

Also, it did not flower last year - the nursery had said that it would, should I do any pruning?

Thanks

applestar
Mod

If you really have no good sunny areas, blackberries are more tolerant than raspberries, and thornless blackberry varieties make it easier to grow in limited space.

...I probably have other things to say but I have to run. I'll come back later :wink:

Return to “All Other Fruit”