Rose bloom
Green Thumb

Peach tree crazily blooming now

My peach tree, about 4 years old, has started to bloom. Usually it blooms in March or mid April, but with the temperature here, I am a little surprised.

Rose bloom
Green Thumb

It is pretty hot here.

applestar
Mod

Sounds like sign of early spring?
If it's that early, I hope there won't be a cold blast to threaten them though.

In my garden, the manchurian apricot usually blooms first some time in February, then plums later in March, then the peach and then cherrys around early April, and finally apples and pears last I think.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah... near me is a huge old apricot tree. It must be in the far north of its range, because most years it blooms too early and then there is a late freeze and no apricots. Every once in awhile, maybe 1 yr out of ten or so, we get through a spring without the late freeze and then it puts out an enormous crop of wonderful apricots.

Rose bloom
Green Thumb

Mmm, yum! Applestar, if it does, a few blossoms do not really matter as we pull off some fruits anyway.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Unfortunately for the apricot tree anyway, it seems to be an all or nothing kind of thing. It gets covered in blossoms all at once. Either there is a freeze after that and they all die or there isn't and they all make it. If they die, it does not re-bloom, it is still done for the year. But this is a very old tree; I don't know if more modern ones are the same.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Most of my fruit trees have been very confused this year. Apple trees and cherry trees were blooming lightly in late fall. Also, one of my lilacs bloomed in late fall. We currently have a blueberry plant with a few blooms, in spite of the fact that this has been the coldest winter in over 4 years. I hope all of this sporadic blooming doesn't affect the main bloom that usually comes in March and April.

Rose bloom
Green Thumb

Wow, rainbowgardener. I would have liked to see that, Hendi Alex.

Rose bloom
Green Thumb

Wow, rainbowgardener. I would have liked to see that, hendi_alex.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

hendi_alex wrote:Most of my fruit trees have been very confused this year. Apple trees and cherry trees were blooming lightly in late fall. Also, one of my lilacs bloomed in late fall. We currently have a blueberry plant with a few blooms, in spite of the fact that this has been the coldest winter in over 4 years. I hope all of this sporadic blooming doesn't affect the main bloom that usually comes in March and April.
My trees did the same thing. I had quite a large bloom in fall with a lot of the blooms setting! I would not worry about it though because my peach is blooming more than ever, for its correct crop, after doing that.

If you do end up getting a freeze, why don't you just throw a frost blanket over it? the new ones are fine if they touch the tree so you could just throw it over and make sure the bottoms are held against the ground with rocks.

Rose bloom
Green Thumb

ReptileAddiction, I'm in Southern California too, so we don't usually get freezes.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

Well know we do not. We do get frost though depending on where you are.

Aida

Aww, that sounds beautiful!
We had a few orange and grapefruit trees, but they all died. Now we just have a lemon tree, and a limexlemon type of hybrid? tree. I wish we had peaches or apples or apricots. ;(

Rose bloom
Green Thumb

Aida, if you want a peach tree, get a pit and stick it in the ground. Water daily and voila! In about three years it should be pretty tall. My tree bore fruit when it was about one or two. P.S. I planted a white peach seed.

Rose bloom
Green Thumb

The peaches are pretty big now. Almost ready to eat! Yum! They're about as big as 1 and a half quarters. Even though my peach didn't set a lot of fruit, I have a feeling they'll be big and much juicier this year! I will post updates soon.

Rose bloom
Green Thumb

Just harvested the last peach now. Here's a pic.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (25.17 KiB) Viewed 1475 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (28.85 KiB) Viewed 1475 times

Rose bloom
Green Thumb

I'm pretty sure that's not a white peach, though. Inside is green and it's wonderfully crunchy, yet slightly soft. Maybe Siberian C, because that's the only peach with green insides that I've heard of. The tree itself is very healthy. Got an infestation of aphids this year, but it shook it off like it was nothing! Only lost about fifteen, twenty leaves. Meanwhile, cucumbers are doing so- so. :lol: Hate those aphids! :twisted: :evil: lucky for the cukes, ladybugs showed up.

Rose bloom
Green Thumb

It's blooming again! :evil: silly peach tree.
Last edited by Rose bloom on Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rose bloom
Green Thumb

Oh, my username isn't a website. :P :oops:

Rose bloom
Green Thumb

Its blooming again. very pretty and fragrant

applestar
Mod

I love peach blossoms -- a lovely sign of spring. :D

NesOne

My nectarine is blooming now too. This past weekend I took a picture to capture the buds, and yesterday I noticed 1/4 of them flowering. I'll try and take another picture to share.

Here's the one from this past Sunday.

Rose bloom
Green Thumb

It has set fruit, and is changing color rapidly. I love eating them: crisp yet soft, and such a unique color! It has green insides, and some should be ready to eat this weekend.

applestar
Mod

Yum! Mine are green and about walnut sized now.... I have a length of old black garden hose -- I gave it a hose end connector "head" and arranged it on the fence around the peach tree to be a "snake" to hopefully scare off the squirrels and chipmunks. I'll need to move it around whenever I remember to do it. :twisted:

Rose bloom
Green Thumb

mmmm, I'm eating a peach as I post. sweet and crisp. big as a golf ball, as I suspect the tree is a dwarf.
it has good qualities........................just imagine a gardening catalog. Looking for a unique peach! Green Envy is for you! Small, yet bears a lot of fruit each year. And the shocker, green insides!
A voucher for this yummy fruit would be a bird. it pecked holes in some. :roll: :twisted:

Rose bloom
Green Thumb

I could just scream! 8) A bug ate a hole in the biggest peach! It was bigger than a grocery store peach! :cry: but, I did get a peach as big as a grocery store peach... Oops. I knew there was something I forgot...I didn't take pictures. : :lol:

Return to “All Other Fruit”