ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

At What Point Do I Protect Meyer Lemon Tree from Cold?

So I have a recently planted (3 weeks ago) meyer lemon and next monday it is supposed to get down to 36 so should I cover it? If I need to I will put some stakes in so I can just throw something over if I need to. I normally would not worry about it but since it is such a new tree and such a small tree I am thinking that it might help it just perform better this winter if I cover it overnight. Thanks guys!

Juliuskitty
Green Thumb

I think covering this young tree during the night would be a good idea. I would suggest a plastic tarp rather than some kind of sheet or blanket, for the added windbreaker benefit.

imafan26
Mod

I don't have to worry about it getting too cold, but this might be helpful to you.

https://www.redwoodbarn.com/citruswintercare.html
Last edited by imafan26 on Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

I normally do not have to worry about it either but since I just planted it a few weeks ago. Thank you for the link. That was funny you linked me to Don Shor's site. He is on an awesome garden radio show that I listen to frequently. :)

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

So I have been covering the tree most nights for about the past week with an old sheet and placing a large bucket of hot water in the "tent". That was recommended by a person with a large collection of citrus to make sure there is adequate humidity inside. This morning I woke up and the lawn was all frosty and I even had to scrape the windshield :shock: but so far the tree looks good.

Return to “All Other Fruit”