ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

Re: Thinking about adding fruit tree orchard in late fall

My newest peach tree has a huge crop and the other one is blooming now. They look spectacular when in bloom. In regards to the amount of bushels per tree, do you really want to have to harvest by hand ALL of those fruit from one tree over a 1-2 week period? That is very time consuming and what do you plan to do with all this fruit? I really think you should keep your trees smaller because in my opinion it is much more practical for home orchards.

Goodluck!

Teddy12b

ReptileAddiction wrote:My newest peach tree has a huge crop and the other one is blooming now. They look spectacular when in bloom. In regards to the amount of bushels per tree, do you really want to have to harvest by hand ALL of those fruit from one tree over a 1-2 week period? That is very time consuming and what do you plan to do with all this fruit? I really think you should keep your trees smaller because in my opinion it is much more practical for home orchards.

Goodluck!
I just pruned all my fruit trees over the weekend. I probably jumped the gun, but at the time the forecast was showing highs in the 50's for the next week and I wanted to catch the trees before bud break. I've decided to go with an open center fruit tree all the way around. You're right, I don't want a lot of fruit at once, I want a consistent flow of fruit for as much of the year as I possibly can. I've been following the "Dave Wilson Nursery" videos way of pruning and right now all my trees got chopped. With the trees being trained with an open center I'm not sure what to expect as far as how many bushels go. I'm not worried about it because with all the trees that I've planted I should be fine, but it's something I'm trying to get an idea of.

Return to “All Other Fruit”