kk550
Newly Registered

Lemon Tree Insect Problem

Hello,

I have a lemon tree and there is some kind of bug that is only attacking the new growth, causing the leaves to wither and become somewhat discolored. Whatever it is, it also leaves a white substance behind. Has anyone here seen this before? I'm trying to figure out what's going on.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Hard to say without pictures. Post pictures of your tree and close ups of the leaves.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

... and also tell us where you are located and what kind of conditions the lemon tree is in (full sun?, how much water? fertilized? soil? etc).

applestar
Mod

And maybe a better description of the 'white substance' -- liquid, powder, sticky...?

kk550
Newly Registered

https://I.imgur.com/OByPvSS.jpg

There's a picture. (hopefully it worked). The white substance isn't liquid its more powder really.

kk550
Newly Registered

Also,

The tree is in full sun and gets watered daily. It's been fine for years until the last few weeks.

imafan26
Mod

The squiggly lines on the leaves are leaf miners. The damage is mostly cosmetic and either squish the larvae at the end of the trail or pick the leaf, heavy infestations can be harmful. https://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn74137.html

The holes in the leaf is probably caused by a slug or snail. Put out bait for that. Also bait for ants. If you control ants you will have fewer problems with aphids and scale which are the bigger issues with citrus.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Leaf miners. I have the same problem with my Satsuma. I called my County Agent and he said not to worry. They will die off over winter. If they show up in the spring I am to call him again. Not a big concern at this time of year.

Return to “All Other Fruit”