Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Re: Goji Berries! I am starting se from seed !

cut them in half and steep with green tea ;)

Rairdog
Green Thumb

I bought a Goji plant today at Meijers for 10 bucks on the right and a hardy kiwi for 7 on the left. They both looked so healthy I couldn't resist. I will be searching for growing tips so if anyone has grown them post here please.

Rose bloom
Green Thumb

gojis grow ridiculously fast. I think kiwi needs to be protected from cold. gojis usually flower at 3 feet high. theyre very sturdy, and bees love the flowers

Rairdog
Green Thumb

The kiwi is hardy to zone 3. I have read this variety is not as tasty as the southern varities. The box says partial shade and it likes the North side of buildings. Looks like I have to find a male to pollinate also.

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

You will want to find a trellis for that Kiwi ;) she will get large and produce heavily !

I started my goji from seed and they did really well this year!

Rairdog
Green Thumb

The kiwi is Actinidia Kolomikta which is only suppose to get to 10-15 ft compared to the Actinidia Arguta which gets to 40 from what I've read. It is also more shade tolerant. I plan on growing under deck which it 14 ft to rail. It also says it will produce better with better sun so I need to make a decision on shade or late afternoon hot sun. I did find a pollinator on the bay. Does it have feet or tendrils or do you just weave it in a trellis? I have a morning sun partial shade spot if it will climb a block wall.

I've looked for Goji berry's at the markets and never found any to grow from seed. Have you tried propagating any branches? It looked like you can just stripe some leaves and plug it into the ground from one vid I found.

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Unfortunately I don't know anything else about the Kiwi. I built a trellis for them and when I went to buy mine I found out the hard way I have a severe allergy to them. not a fun day. So instead I have grapes ;)

I have not tried propagation yet but I hear they sucker so id probably snatch a sucker if I wanted more. Ill be building a Tee-pee style trellis for my goji this summer while my plant gets more sturdy.

there is a place here in Canada we can get the seeds from. it was easy and the germination rate was great!

Joyfirst
Green Thumb

Green tea with gojis sounds delicious! I would love to grow some kiwis too. We need a male and a female for the fruit, right? I will see, if your nursery will have some.

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

That's right you need both male and female.

Good luck !

Rairdog
Green Thumb

Joyfirst wrote:Green tea with gojis sounds delicious! I would love to grow some kiwis too. We need a male and a female for the fruit, right? I will see, if your nursery will have some.

Gojis are self pollinating. The kiwi's need a male. It will pollinate 5 or so females. Make sure they are the same species of male/female kiwis because they flower at different times. Don't make an impulse buy like I did. Then research and frantically search for a male. There are many varieties for different zones. Some them can get to 40 feet and eat your house.

Joyfirst
Green Thumb

Oh boy. Then I think it is best to buy the same variety of both -male and female. How long do they take to get fruit?

Rairdog
Green Thumb

My Goji is already fruiting :>

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

They will get bigger soon ! They take a long time to harden off FYI

Mine are featured in my last YouTube video :)

Joyfirst
Green Thumb

Very cool! I will go check it out. But I have to tell you, that after I read more about gojis, I am starting to freak out a bit :eek: . I planted my in the ground, and now I read they can grow 12 feet tall and spread to 8 feet wide...My whole plot is 17 by 17, paths and storage included. They can be kept a bit more compact by pruning, so I will start wacking them soon. If I plant them into pots, soon my whole plot will be just pots... :roll:

Joyfirst
Green Thumb

Would you give me a link to that video? It doesn't seem to be even in the first page, that youtube gives me of your uploads. I don't like it, that I can't search for specific word on person's channel in the videos.

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Here are the three videos I did on the subject. I am still waiting to see if they break bud and go nuts this year ;)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... R2T-8IouAv

Delvi83

Remember the difference between:

Lycium barbarum : Sweet Goji...it has narrow leaves

Lycium chinesis : Bitter Goji, with larger leaves

Return to “All Other Fruit”