cuttingedge

Moving, hopefully with some plants

My Wife and I are moving to Maine from NJ and I would like to take some of my plants with me (Strawberry, Blueberry, Raspberry). We will be moving some stuff up there in mid October and would like to take some of our plants with us at that time. I know that this is not ideal as far as timing but would like to think that at least some of them should be OK. What is my best course of action with them? I was thinking of potting them up and transplanting them when we arrive. What if anything can I do to help them survive the move? Should I prune the Blueberries/ Raspberries before digging them up?

Thanks

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, definitely prune/ cut back the blueberry and raspberry first. The roots will inevitably be cut back some and shocked in the transplant process, so then they will have less top growth to support. Actually fall is a good time to transplant shrubbery ... it will be going dormant soon, so will have time to rest, recover, root itself in before growth starts in spring.

But if you are selling a house, you might need to check with real estate agent about removing shrubs. I think generally landscaping is considered part of what comes with the house. You might need to at least notify the purchasers ahead of time what you are planning to take.

cuttingedge

rainbowgardener wrote:Yes, definitely prune/ cut back the blueberry and raspberry first. The roots will inevitably be cut back some and shocked in the transplant process, so then they will have less top growth to support. Actually fall is a good time to transplant shrubbery ... it will be going dormant soon, so will have time to rest, recover, root itself in before growth starts in spring.

But if you are selling a house, you might need to check with real estate agent about removing shrubs. I think generally landscaping is considered part of what comes with the house. You might need to at least notify the purchasers ahead of time what you are planning to take.
Thanks Rainbow,

I appreciate the advice. Our house is getting rented for now and I am taking all of my fruiting plants with me and replacing them with other shrubs. Some are going to go to my Mothers house about 5 miles away so if the plants that I take to Maine don't survive, I will have extra's that I can take at a later date.
Again thank you.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Fall is a pretty good time to transplant, IMO

Prune top & feet to fit your pots. Replant when you get there.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

As long as you can grow the plants in both climates I would think they would be ok. Goodluck!

Return to “All Other Fruit”