sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

Moving Strawberry plants to different location, what to do?

I want to move my strawberry plants to the front yard, and move my raspberry plants to the backyard. Only problem is, I don't have beds prepared for the strawberries yet. I'm not sure if I should do hugelculture for them? if I do, can I prepare it now and plant the strawberries in it now? Or, could I do lasagna beds and plant in it now? I could do wooden raised beds, but hubby won't help me move the old wood and it would be a lot of work, and still I wouldn't have dirt to fill it in with. The only other option, is to pull up the strawberry plants and store them dormant for the winter?

applestar
Mod

Well, how much work are you willing/able to do?

For strawberries, I wouldn't try to store until spring. That would be the last option, I think. Even if you planted them in unprepped bed full of weeds, I think it would be better than trying to store them.

For better result though, at minimum, I would sheet mulch with minimum prep. Lasagna bed is like a layer cake vs. a sheet cake.

I guess middle ground I would strive for would be to loosen the ground with garden/spade fork with a layer of compost and soil amendments, then layer weed suspect green and brown mulch, paper, then layer with weed-free green and brown mulch. Cut or poke holes and plant.

Make sure to fence the strawberry bed against critters.

If you do this now, the plants may have a chance to establish some roots before the ground freezes solid. Mulch well after they are dormant since their roots are shallow, and pull back the mulch around sugar maple tapping time.

I think that if you are unable to build the full sized bed and want to put it off, one option may be to prepare a smaller loose bed and sort of cram them in there, and plan on properly transplanting them after the ground thaws when new bareroot plants are usually planted, but planting now would give them a head start, get them established and let you harvest more next summer.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

thank you :) I was able to get a good length and depth of rotting logs for a hugelculture... but, I don't think I have enough dirt to put on top. I had the kids go through the woods this afternoon to start on one. I figure, at least I can get it started and if I can't get it done this fall, I can have it started and maybe the spring I can finish it? I don't know. hubby isn't impressed with my "projects" sigh... plus, I'm putting it where the pine needles fall. it is only a matter of time before it is too acidic from the needles...

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

What I've learned... I need a bigger property!

Return to “All Other Fruit”