applestar
Mod

Re: my neglected espalier row

What you actually need are sturdy posts between each tree and tensioned wire to tie the branches onto for support.

I'm doing a non-traditional "style" based on Belgian fence design and tying crossing diagonal main limbs to each other -- and possibly ultimately fusing them. I'm also hooking ends of straightened limbs on the top of the picket fence when they reach past the top rail so fruit clusters dangle on the other side along the top rail just because I like the way that looks from the front side, but doing this seems to be supporting the length of the limbs.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Wow... that makes me think!

You really are my mentor, applestar.

So my long narrow lot has neighbors close by on both sides. On one side it slopes down to the neigbor and a lot of the back yard area has trees all along the dividing line. On the other side it is all open between my butterfly/hummingbird garden and the neighbor's lawn. I always thought about putting up like a two bar split rail fence there as a sort of symbolic divider and place to grow grapes or something. I don't want to do anything to block the sun, because that's the only direction left that sun can come from to get to the patio beds.

But it might work to put up posts and then instead of split rails between them, put wires and espaliered trees..... If the trees are dwarf and only allowed to have a few branches, it shouldn't block the sun too much.

applestar
Mod

Sounds like a great idea! I think that would work very well. :D
Just remember, though, that critters will go after the fruits, so you may need to think of ways to protect them.

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Id love to know just like Rainbow. Wow that looks good!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:Sounds like a great idea! I think that would work very well. :D
Just remember, though, that critters will go after the fruits, so you may need to think of ways to protect them.
You are right and that is a good point. But fruit would be a few years off and I am hoping not to be still in this house with the wierd little lot by then. If I do it, it would just be for the experience and because I think the espaliered trees would be more beautiful than split rails.

JONA878
Greener Thumb

A few years off Rainbow??
You should be able to get some fruit off by year three at the latest. With good quality trees we expect as near to full cropping by year five and return of costs by year 10 on intensive trained trees.

Return to “All Other Fruit”