IrisPrincess

Rasberries and weeding

Hi! I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas on weeding around rasberries, other than climbing through them and their prickles. They aren't really in rows, just sort of in a bunch. Is there any kind of weeding product that is safe for rasberries? Thanks a ton! :D

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

In response about your question about a weeding product: I'm guessing that you are looking for some sort of chemical.

Herbicides are very bad for gardens because they kill not only the weeds but also the plants that we want to grow. Furthermore they also kill the beneficial soil inhabitants that keep our plants healthy and they break down soil structure.

As far as mechanical tools that you can use, there are several out there but from the sounds of it, you are going to have to get down and get dirty.

Next year (well, rather this fall) collect up a bunch of fallen leaves and lay them down as mulch around the canes that you save for next year. This will aid in preventing weeds from growing up. Save a pile of leaves (mulch them up with the mower if you like) as leaf mold to add next spring again to aid in keeping the weeds down.

Also, you will be adding a tonne of both macro and micronutrients to the soil for your raspberries.

A word to the wise, don't use Walnut leaves (contain a chemical called juglone that very few plants can grow in the presence of.) and if you plan to grow corn nearby don't use Oak leaves (which contain coumarin an allelopathic chemical that deturs the growth of grasses). Maple and apple leaves are loaded with nutrients and unmulched maple leaves are great for keeping weeds down because they will mat together to provide a protective barrier to prevent seedling from popping up.

biwa

I read on the internet somewhere that raspberries like acidic soil. Perhaps you should try treating the soil with acid, or using some fertilizer meant for acid-loving plants (azaleas, etc.)

It won't get rid of the weeds completely, but it really helps against things like grass that like alkaline soil. My father did this on his lawn and it worked great - now the "lawn" is made up mostly of moss and wild violets. The grass doesn't grow well. I think the moss and violets are way prettier than grass myself.

Return to “All Other Fruit”