memory94

Help with strawberry

(Beginners) (I know I made this threat but I'm just getting curious)

1 month ago my strawberry plant produced their fruit but didn't continue to grow, it just stopped halfway then gets rotten? like this
20130715_171316.jpg
20130715_171316.jpg (20.44 KiB) Viewed 1061 times

But this month shes producing allot more at a time. I'm growing in southern California in a container.
20130820_170247.jpg
20130820_170247.jpg (27.38 KiB) Viewed 1061 times

The only pest I see are caterpillars.

what other pest am I not concerned about? That makes them dry?

applestar
Mod

The size and shape of the fruit in first photo makes me think of alpine strawberries or wild strawberries. They grow intensely flavored berries that are ony about the size of fingertips. The fruits typically do not keep well and so are not usually sold in stores. My east coast native wild species F. virginiana bear fruits that will get mushy within hours of being picked and only taste good if picked daily at peak ripeness, but they only bear in June. If yours is a repeat bearer, they are probably Alpine strawberries.

Were you expecting a cultivated variety size strawberries? What is the name of this variety?

memory94

applestar wrote:The size and shape of the fruit in first photo makes me think of alpine strawberries or wild strawberries. They grow intensely flavored berries that are ony about the size of fingertips. The fruits typically do not keep well and so are not usually sold in stores. My east coast native wild species F. virginiana bear fruits that will get mushy within hours of being picked and only taste good if picked daily at peak ripeness, but they only bear in June. If yours is a repeat bearer, they are probably Alpine strawberries.

Were you expecting a cultivated variety size strawberries? What is the name of this variety?

I kinda expected a cultivated variety size fruit but more with pest issues (;. Not sure on the variety I just took a random sprout they sold in stores. didn't said it was alpine or a wild just said strawberry's. :|

wild strawberry's seems to match though. If this plant is a wild or alpine strawberry,then my second similar plant must be different. It hasn't produced any blossom when I got it.

how many different type of strawberry are out there?

thanks!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

You started this same topic earlier.

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... 20&t=53992

Eric

memory94

DoubleDogFarm wrote:You started this same topic earlier.

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... 20&t=53992

Eric

yes I have! :-()

Return to “All Other Fruit”