ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

Rooting Fig Cuttinga

Hello, I have a friend that has a variety of fig that I really want. I would like to take a softwood cutting now. How do you guys root figs? What type of rooting hormone (if any) should I use? I am looking at this stuff

https://www.amazon.com/Technaflora-Roote ... pg__header

but I am worried that it would be to strong for a softwood cutting or for other things. I would also like to root blueberries and other ornamentals with it but I have heard that to high of a concentration can burn some things. WHat do you guys use? Thanks!

imafan26
Mod

I usually take slightly older wood on figs. I like to take cuttings about 1/2 inch in diameter. I have rooted tip and stem cuttings. they root fairly easily with dip and grow rooting hormone or rootone. The trick is to make sure you take cuttings at the right time. For figs the best time is late winter or early Spring. You want to get the cuttings from any plant just as it is about to enter a growth phase. Follow the instructions on dip and grow on how concentrated you should make the solution. You make different concentrations for different types of cuttings.

I cannot grow blueberries so someone else will have to help you there.

Softwood is generally taken on new growth in the Spring
Semi ripe and ripe wood in the fall.

As a rule of thumb I get cuttings from plants or make divisions just prior to when the plants usually will put out a new flush of growth. Cuttings taken from plants when they are dormant take a lot longer and I have a higher mortality than waiting to take cuttings just before or just as they begin to flush. Some plants will only grow from tip cuttings and some will grow from both tip and stem cuttings 4-6 inches long. I take more cuttings than I need because I expect to lose some. It helps to read up on the plant you are propagating to learn how to do it. Most things I root in the shade, but some things like Ti leaves like to be out in the sun.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

Thanks! I ordered some clonex rooting hormone because it had the most consistent reviews though it was very pricey! I spent 18 bucks on a small vial but it was the cheapest I could find it. Then I realized for the same price I could have just bought an actual plant. I saw some decent ones at Home Depot for like 15 bucks but they were not green varieties like I wanted. I still might check my local nursery and buy a potted tree anyway.

imafan26
Mod

I never heard of clonex. Dip and grow isn't all that cheap either a gallon cost $58. I know they have them in smaller bottles but a gallon will last for years, literally.

Return to “All Other Fruit”