Teddy12b

What can I do to help new fruit trees survive and produce?

This spring I bought a dozen different fruit trees as soon as Lowes got them in the store. I was able to pick and chose the biggest/best ones they had and all of the ones I got stick out of the ground about 6' high with good sturdy stocks. These trees were planted in March, and I knew I wasn't going to get any fruit from them this year, but I wanted to make sure that there wasn't something that I should be doing that I'm not. My plan for these trees isn't to try to maximize the production like it's a business, but instead to let them grow naturally like they did for a few million years and then just harvest whatever produce I can from them. I'm not an all organic is the only way kind of guy, but I certainly like the idea of not spraying all kinds of nasty stuff on my trees. I'd like to give my trees some kind of fertilizer or treatment to help them along.

I knew going into this I wasn't going to be seeing any fruit in the first year, or even likely the second or third, but I'd like to see what kind of options would be available to help these trees continue to thrive and eventually produce some delicious fruit.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I knew going into this I wasn't going to be seeing any fruit in the first year, or even likely the second or third, but I'd like to see what kind of options would be available to help these trees continue to thrive and eventually produce some delicious fruit
Helping them and letting them grow naturally is contradicting. :) The domesticated fruit trees you purchased are far removed from their wild cousins.

If left to grow on their own you will end up with a tangled branch, small fruit, diseased tree.

First year they weep. Second year they creep. Third year they leap. You may get a few nice fruit on year 4 or 5. Don't rush them.

Eric

Return to “All Other Fruit”