sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

How deep of a raised bed for strawberries?

If I were to move my strawberries out front, it is VERY acidic there. So, I'd have to bring in dirt/ how deep would I need to make it so it isn't effected by the acidity?

Reason for moving them is because my raspberry plants are thriving back there, and they're starting to spread. which I love! And the strawberries were planted too wide and I want to plant them in narrower beds.

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

30cm depending on the variety. You can also balance the acidity in the soil using a number of off the self products.

Son skimp on the depth. I think I lost my sSierra F1 because they are in a shallow bed.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

the thing is, it is near pine trees. I think that is the source of my acidity. will 30 cm be enough to get away from the piney soil? what about the pine needles that fall, I think that also contributes. :(

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

It should be enough. The new pine needles as long as you clean them up they take awhile to break down and release the acidity.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

when I put in the raspberries in that area, I put them in and they did horribly. so then I dug them up 2 years later and put a layer of garden soil/compost mix. about 6 inches. It didn't help :( it didn't compact down to about 4 inches. I figured it would be ok because they are shallow roots, but nope :( I havent' been good at removing the pine needles though it is sort of hard to do with prickly plants.

applestar
Mod

Maybe consider doing things that would raise pH --

E.g. Make the raised bed with cinder blocks, limestone, or granite; mulch with marble chips or sea shells....

I believe strawberries can handle lower pH than raspberries, too.

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Oh I know how to get the pine needles up easily!!! Shop vacuum !! Sounds silly but it works :)

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

Why don't you just build a bed with a bottom? You still would have to clean off the surface of the beds but that wouldn't be too difficult. I would probably only make it like a foot to a foot and a half but that might be kinda shallow.

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

or just saturate the area with pelletized limestone.

it doesn't "do" anything - basically if conditions are "acid" the limestone "reacts" - if there's no acid, it sits there looking particularly pretty, but does not "make things alkaline" as would more active forms of "lime"

ps: do NOT dump cement into your soil as you may read in other messages.

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

The cement might make your soil hard...

LOL :) ok jokes not funny. It is 320 am and I have been up for 2 hours whohahahhaha

imafan26
Mod

Put at least 20% compost in the soil mix. Compost will help to buffer the pH of the soil and add dolomite lime to adjust pH upward. Strawberries like acidic condition pH 5.8-6.2. It will take a while for the pH to change, about 6 months on average so adding compost would be the best immediate solution and of course cleaning up the needles.

Blueberry33
Newly Registered

So glad I found this topic as I have strawberries in a "planter" and I am wondering whether they are in a good position. The trouble being that they have lots of really good leaves and and look really well but the crop is quite sparse.
(I wanted to add a photo but apparently it's too big and I don't know how to adjust it!)

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Are you clipping the runners, have enough space and providing enough nitrogen ?

dtizme
Cool Member

Any wild raspberries I've seen are growing in bushes filled with pine trees. Not sure if strawberries like slightly acidic soil or not.

ccar2000
Cool Member

My strawberries love pine needles, plant some borage in the bed with them as well, they are good companion plants. I have raised beds made with 10" lumber.

Return to “All Other Fruit”