cher68

Blueberry bush and strawberry plant questions

I bought a blueberry bush and also a strawberry plant in a hanging basket half price yesterday. I am wondering where and how to plant to make sure they survive the winter.
I am in Central Indiana.
Thanks!

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I'm in S.C. so can't really comment on your colder winter conditions. Blueberry plants do produce much more fruit and larger fruit when planted with a suitable companion blueberry for cross pollination.

cher68

Thanks I will keep that in mind. I will probably just need to purchase another in the spring.

I havent planted these yet and am unsure where to do it. I want them to survive the winter and I'd rather not keep the strawberry in the hanging basket but if I did what would I do with it when it gets cold/snows,etc.?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

They should both be in the ground, not in containers, in full sun. They both like acid soil, so you will need to check. The strawberry likes soil pH 5.5 to 6.5. The blueberry likes very acid soil, range 4.0 to 5.0, but would tolerate the 5.5 if you were going to grow them together.

Seriously, you have to know. The strawberries will tolerate soils up to neutral, 7.0, but will fail in alkaline soil. The blueberries will fail in neutral soil.

As far as surviving the winter, they are both quite cold hardy. Blueberries come in a lot of different varieties, some that are adapted to cold and some that have been bred for southern/ warmer climates. So you just have to be careful what variety you get and check its cold hardiness. Most strawberries are cold hardy clear down to zone 3, which is more than you need. So just mulch them for winter and they will be fine.

Blueberry33
Newly Registered

I grow my blueberry bushes in pots..very large ones it's true but nevertheless, and they are doing just fine.
I have sunk the puts into the soil for about six inches in order to help them not to dry out if the weather is really hot plus I cannot always get downstairs to water them.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You didn't say where you are located. The reason I said in the ground was for winter protection. Roots freeze solid much easier in pots than in the ground and are subject to more freeze thaw cycles. That is even more true for hanging baskets. If cold winters are not an issue, containers are fine.

Blueberry33
Newly Registered

Interesting point that Rainbow..didn't realise that they needed extra care in the winter although where I am our winters are most prob not as severe as some parts.
(Have just added my location)

Return to “All Other Fruit”