bryce d
Cool Member

buying fruit trees

When is the best time to get a good price on fruit trees? Does that coincide with a good time to plant fruit trees?
I had a friend grow a peach tree from a stone is that a good Idea?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

IMO believe that dormant bare root fruit trees are the best. Here in Western Washington I plant in late January thru early March.

I never grow fruit trees from seeds, pits or stones. Graftiing is the only way to get true to the parent plant.

Eric

tomc
Super Green Thumb

If absolutely identical trees are your need, then growing out trees from stone or seed can only be rootstock for grafted trees.

If you are ok with minor differences in your trees, then grow them from seed.

If it worked for Johnny Chapman, it might could for you too.

SOB
Green Thumb

The best time to plant is late winter/early spring when things are still dormant. This is not, however, the time you find the cheapest prices. Most places will start to discount their trees later in spring in hopes of selling out all their stock for the year. The cost difference (a few bucks a tree) will not matter that much unless you are planting a lot of trees.

I wanted to plant some tree in late spring last year after we moved into our new house but everything was sold out. This year I got my order in early to ensure I got what I wanted. I believed I ordered in January and they sent things in late march through april.

imafan26
Mod

Planting from seeds have the additional disadvantage in that it will probably be years before you see any fruit and it might not be that good.

If you want a tree that will be productive for many years, then it pays to get the best quality. Think of it as a long term investment.

Return to “All Other Fruit”