sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

Re: Why aren't my trees growing?

I think they're semi dwarf.

I didn't put anything in the hole when I planted them. The nursery told me not to.

applestar
Mod

Are you mulching with organic matter and compost?
I'm not particularly diligent about it, but I basically give them a layer of compost in fall and spring, then mulch all season with cut weeds, grass clippings, sometimes hay and/or straw, fall leaves after ground freezes.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:Are you mulching with organic matter and compost?
I'm not particularly diligent about it, but I basically give them a layer of compost in fall and spring, then mulch all season with cut weeds, grass clippings, sometimes hay and/or straw, fall leaves after ground freezes.

I'm basically doing the same routine. If the area is out of control, first a layer of cardboard goes down, then the hay / manure. It's more of a competition suppressor than a fertilizer. I occasonally apply some organic fertilizer to give things a boost.

Eric

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

I haven't been doing that. the first couple of years I just gave it the 10 10 20 or whatever that chemical fertilizer was, because the orchard said compost was bad and make it grow at the wrong times or something like that. I stopped using it. it didn't help them grow either. they didn't grow at all.

All I did this fall was add lime, and that was the most growth I've had since I put them in. When they stopped growing a month or so ago, I put some manure around them and more lime. nothing. and oddly, the plum didn't grow when I added the lime, just the apples did.

I'm just confused.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

Oh, and we don't' have much grass on the property because it is so acidic. there is a lot of moss in that area. and tons of wild blueberries.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Soluble (10-10-10) fertilizer is a total waste on prunus, malus, pyrus. Mulch with low nitrogen bark mulch and water at least weekly (you said you were on sand).

I only lived in new england for fourty years, and kept apples for most of them.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Aaahhh ..... your acidity again. " Ideal soil pH for apple trees is near 6.5. " https://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1401.html

They will tolerate more acidity than that, probably down to 5, but maybe not do as well. Below 5 they would start to have a lot of problems. I know you said you added lime, but have you actually tested the soil pH in the root zone of your trees? It can be quite difficult to significantly affect the soil pH, especially below the surface. The lime you add keeps getting neutralized by the acid soil (and even more if you actually have acid rain as you suggested).

applestar
Mod

Yeah, I was thinking that too and looked up some acid-loving fruit tree lists. not surprisingly, blueberries top the list, along with cranberries.

If compost itself is not acidic, adding layers of it every year should help modify the soil biology and rhizosphere around the trees.

Since you are in Maine, you probably have access to local sources of seashells and limestones -- you might consider using them as "mulch" or decorative elements too.

Here's one of the website I found, this one is in a pretty friendly form though not an .edu site:
:arrow: https://www.offthegridnews.com/2013/06/1 ... idic-soil/#

...on 2nd thought I'll add this too. It mentions peaches and pears and has links to other sources, though the article was for San Francisco audience:
:arrow: homeguides.sfgate.com/fruit-trees-acid-soils-22822.html

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

Hmmm, well I'm not sure what the acidity of the compost is . And I tried doing a home test kit all over my yard for pH, but it wasn't right. It showed everything as a pH of 6. even where the blueberries are, and I KNOW that isn't right. because they're growing like weeds and they need less than 6pH.

GRR.

Do I give up and surrender? DO I plant cranberries instead? LOL.

I could put shells around it, I could get plenty at the beach, my kids brought some back the other day. I could get oyster shells at the chicken store too.

I've been getting goat manure from my friend. I don't know how that effects the soil acidity.

I"m going to check those links too, but what else can I do?

Also, any idea if I want to move my strawberries out front there, how deep of soil would I have to put in raised beds so they aren't affected by the soil underneath? is it even worth it? I put raspberries there and they didn't grow :( the blackberries died. and then When I moved in some soil, I put like 4 inches and they still aren't doing well.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:Yeah, I was thinking that too and looked up some acid-loving fruit tree lists. not surprisingly, blueberries top the list, along with cranberries.

If compost itself is not acidic, adding layers of it every year should help modify the soil biology and rhizosphere around the trees.

Since you are in Maine, you probably have access to local sources of seashells and limestones -- you might consider using them as "mulch" or decorative elements too.

Here's one of the website I found, this one is in a pretty friendly form though not an .edu site:
:arrow: https://www.offthegridnews.com/2013/06/1 ... idic-soil/#

...on 2nd thought I'll add this too. It mentions peaches and pears and has links to other sources, though the article was for San Francisco audience:
:arrow: homeguides.sfgate.com/fruit-trees-acid-soils-22822.html
I find this very interesting about the radishes. I can't grow them if my life depended on it!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I think you need a soil pH meter with the probes. Here's one e.g.:

https://www.growerssupply.com/farm/suppl ... 03398.html

They are more accurate than the test kits and you can put the probe down in to root zone. Given all your issues with acidity, you really need to know what your subsurface soil pH levels are, not just add lime and guess.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

I was going to get one of those, but I kept reading mixed reviews. Some people said they worked, others said they didn't work. Some said accurate, some said no. I had looked at various ones and their reviews for hours and hours and then realized that the only really accurate ones from a review standpoint, were the ones over $100.

Have you used that particular one?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

No, it was just a sample I found to give you the idea. I had one that I was pretty satisfied with, seemed to give meaningful results, but I lost it and now I don't remember the brand. I need to get a new one, but haven't done that yet.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

I agree that it is the soil's ph. The dwarfing trees are dwarfing because they are less vigorous. I bet that that is part of the reason they are slow but I think the main reason is the soil ph. Check out Dave Wilson Nursery's youtube channel. They have a great resource there and they produce great videos.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

that youtube link is great!

Ok, so I really need to address the soil pH.

I will try and take pictures of the trees soon to show you how small and pathetic they are!

organicPete

sheeshe

I could almost guarantee that you are not watering those trees enough.
I had the same problem. I dug a small crater - about 1 foot deep and 1 foot wide - at the base of my trees. I fill that hole with water and let it soak. the frequency of watering depends on the type of tree. but if your are in full sun, I'd try a good soak every 2nd day, and light watering daily. if they respond well, increase the frequency of watering. my nectarine is a thirsty devil and I enlarged the watering hole for that tree. it is looking MUCH better now :-)

organicPete

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

I disagree with organicpete. Fruit trees if watered correctly are very drought tolerant. The commercial orchards here in California water about once a month for 24-48 hours. That is a drip system of course but you should not be watering fruit trees every day. A good deep soaking will do the trees much better.

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Watering of fruit trees can be a little tricky. There are several things that must be taken into account.
Trees on dwarfing stocks....9..27...111 etc..are very shallow rooted and will need water very quickly if a long dry spell comes along.
A long wet winter or very wet spring can cause damage to shallow rooted trees and then these will come under water stress very quickly and these will need regular watering to let them recover.
Too heavy watering though can make the trees lazy in searching for moisture deeper down and so bring stress on quickly when the weather turns dryer.
Heavy watering around the June/July drop period can induce a greater drop. So we avoid irrigation at this period unless the crop is very heavy.

If you have the facility to measure soil deficit, it pays to keep the soil at around a two inch deficit to get the best results from your trees.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

soil moisture deficit was a term I wasn't familiar with, so I looked it up:

Soil Water Deficit
Soil water deficit is the amount of available water removed from the soil within the crop's active rooting depth. Likewise it is the amount of water required to refill the root zone to bring the current soil moisture conditions to field capacity. Soil water decreases as the crop uses water (evapotranspiration) and increases as precipitation (rainfall or irrigation) is added. Expressed in soil water deficit, evapotranspiration increases the deficit and precipitation decreases it. It is usually expressed in inches of water and can be estimated by several methods described later.
https://www.extension.umn.edu/distributi ... 3875c.html

Thanks, JONA for helping us keep learning all the time! Your posts are always very informative.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

I highly doubt that water is the issue here. We've had so much rain this year, it has rained a good rain at least 3 times a week here all summer. with the exception of 1 or 2 weeks. we've had a lot of rain.

Here are the trees.
Attachments
honeycrisp apple
honeycrisp apple
stanley plum
stanley plum
Redfree apple
Redfree apple

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

Here are my other two trees.
Attachments
pear tree which does the best out of all the trees, it is in the woods on the other side of my property
pear tree which does the best out of all the trees, it is in the woods on the other side of my property
peach, can't remember the name of the variety.
peach, can't remember the name of the variety.

JONA878
Greener Thumb

I would make a couple of suggestions Sheeshee on your trees.
First I would get a stake for each of them. This would allow you to tie them up so that you can get them to grow straighter. It will make training much easier in the years to come.
Secondly I would clear the ground of weed around each tree and apply a good mulch. If you use fym ( farm yard manure) keep it away from touching the trunks.
The apples are not too bad for young trees and I think give them a couple of years and you will see a good response if you keep them well watered and fed.
The plums leader will have to be watched.
The second branch down is threatening to become the dominant branch on the tree. If you stake the tree you can pull this down to a lower angle with string and a nail in the post. This will slow the sap run to that branch as well as encouraging it to produce good flower bud and fruit.
The peach has a branch there that is naturally trying to reach for the sky and would tie into a stake to help it become a good leader for your tree.

The more effort you put into giving them a helping hand ...the quicker the reward.
Good luck
John

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

I've tied them down before, but the kids keep undoing my limb tieing!!! grrr. you can see I have yarn on the peach one from when I had the limbs tied down before, but the kids keep screwing it up.grrr

I see what you mean about the plum and that limb. is that why it isn't growing any longer? it actually flowered last year, but then it didn't flower this year. I heard that plum trees grow fast, but this one has had no new growth in 2 years :(

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

also, the plum I think I trained it 4 years ago to be an open centered tree? I think that is what it is called. no central leader or whatever. so how does it grow to be taller if the center doesn't ever grow?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

The three most common fruit tree training.
https://www.google.com/imgres?q=fruit+tr ... ,s:0,I:227

Eric

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

On the first apple it looks like the upper leaves are eaten/burned. Can you give us a picture of that.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

it is from the japanese beetles. :(

JONA878
Greener Thumb

sheeshshe wrote:also, the plum I think I trained it 4 years ago to be an open centered tree? I think that is what it is called. no central leader or whatever. so how does it grow to be taller if the center doesn't ever grow?

Open centred trees grow their branches just from a central point with no centre leader allowed. The tree grows up with the extension of the trunk. Your tree will grow to a big eventually.
However, you will have to make sure that all the branches that grow from the centre are roughly balanced as if one should grow away more vigorously than the others ...that branch will become the dominant one. Only careful pruning can help on this score.

I would add just one thing more.. With all those large trees around your fruit trees, which appear to rather dominate them, you are going to always have a pest problem.
Large trees or woodland play host to a large amount of pests that will enjoy the young growth and fruit. So you will have to keep an eye out for unwanted guests throughout the year.

applestar
Mod

I bought some inexpensive wind chimes and hung them on fruit tree branches as weights. They weigh down the branches and help to scare away.

I also found bird feeding suet baskets work great during the summer since I can add or subtract stones in the baskets for just the right amount of weight.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:I bought some inexpensive wind chimes and hung them on fruit tree branches as weights. They weigh down the branches and help to scare away.

I also found bird feeding suet baskets work great during the summer since I can add or subtract stones in the baskets for just the right amount of weight.

Brilliant!

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

JONA878 wrote:
sheeshshe wrote:also, the plum I think I trained it 4 years ago to be an open centered tree? I think that is what it is called. no central leader or whatever. so how does it grow to be taller if the center doesn't ever grow?

Open centred trees grow their branches just from a central point with no centre leader allowed. The tree grows up with the extension of the trunk. Your tree will grow to a big eventually.
However, you will have to make sure that all the branches that grow from the centre are roughly balanced as if one should grow away more vigorously than the others ...that branch will become the dominant one. Only careful pruning can help on this score.

I would add just one thing more.. With all those large trees around your fruit trees, which appear to rather dominate them, you are going to always have a pest problem.
Large trees or woodland play host to a large amount of pests that will enjoy the young growth and fruit. So you will have to keep an eye out for unwanted guests throughout the year.

so the trunk itself will grow taller? I thought that in order for it to grow taller, that there would have to be new ground in the center. Ok, I will weigh down that branch that is trying to become dominant.

UGH. well, living in maine, I don't think there is much choice in avoiding the woodland stuff LOL. our state is majority woods. We go out two times a day and pest pick. I usually only see the japanese beetles, but the other day there was some weird caterpillar on the plum tree. it looked just like the "very hungry caterpillar" from the book :lol: was pretty funny... and I was not impressed all at the same time :)

Return to “All Other Fruit”